Found something while customizing a Dell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Dec 31, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I found this quite strange, actually stranger then me being on Dell.com:

Attached Files:

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Cant see it:confused:

Edit: Yes I am blind... hah strange indeed

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Strange cos you are customising a PC with this display! Had it just been on their displays page, I'd have understood.

4. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

I have a dell 20" widescreen and it's pretty good really. Not as good as my old samsung TFT, but you can't expect it to be.

5. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

:) and there's no option for the 30", I noticed the 30" missing earlier today but not the mac user thing.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If the machine / gfx card option you chose supports it, you'll be given a 'no minotor - 3007wfp ready' option and you can choose a 30-incher separately.

Incidentally there's apparently a lower-priced 27inch panel coming out soon for those of you who insist on doing it the wrong way (Dell display, Apple hardware) ;)

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I found something even more surprising on the Dell UK site yesterday :eek:

£37 more expensive than buying off Apple :rolleyes:

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I was somewhat surprised to see that as well in there especially as the Apple monitors aren't actually fully Windows compatible without an open source utility.

9. Gee macrumors 65816

Maybe these are the first small steps in Apple licensing OSX to Dell. :(

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Pity that Dell hardware or Windows or the apps that run on them just don't cut the mustard, for so many reasons, in many — if not most — visually-creative professional fields from design to video. Some of us have work to do. ;)

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's probably a SWOP thing, none of the software vendors bother to test against Dell screens.

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That will never happen - ever. :rolleyes:

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

God forbid !!! :eek: :eek:

FJ :)

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If all you do is 2D design, I wouldn't disagree with you ;)

I look forward to the day OS X runs supported on Dell hardware. Conservative engineering, support that's actually 'Pro' on the higher-end gear plus a decent OS would be my bag, baby. I don't really care if the pretty people are still catered for by underengineered, overdesigned, poorly supported hardware but I'm sure there'll still be that 5% niche for it ;)

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have no idea how you get the idea that the Pro Macs are anything like that. Have you ever opened one up and worked on them? They're simply the most elegantly put-together, easy to work on, machine I've ever had the pleasure of upgrading and that includes a number of PCs. A true revelation and a benchmark for industrial design.

However, I agree about some aspects of the MBPs though, particularly the diffculty of replacing the hard-drives, but they are thin, which is what a lot of people want.

In smaller devices like iPods and Minis, Steve Job's obsession with seamless lines and having no screws visible is often a right pain for people wanting to do a little messing around. Still, over-designed is a bit harsh. It sounds like someone complaining that OSX is all about the eye-candy. Form and function are intertwined.

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Not to mention the desktop is a complete tiger rip off. :rolleyes:

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I do have to say it's not something that extends as much to the desktop Pros, but conversely have you opened up any other high-end workstation (For the Mac Pro is that) for serviceability and judged them for utility as much as how good it looks inside? I'll bet if you're typing stuff like that you haven't. And that's before we get to support - "Well box it up then and hopefully it'll be back within the week" as opposed to "We'll have an engineer around at 4pm". For some people, form acts as a blinker to function.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Now why would I want to even work on a high-end PC workstation? A word which I incidentally hold in some disdain; it sounds dated and yet over-important. But I guess my own work would sound far more weighty if I posted that I work on a workstation rather than a Mac or a computer, for that matter. Today's workstation is tomorrow's sluggard...

Besides, I know something about working with the current PowerMac/MacPro cases and I also know that they have been almost universally-admired on many non-Mac sites for their industrial design. I'd like to see some pictures and reviews written from a upgradability/ergonomic point of view for the machines that you hold in high regard.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The fact that you wouldn't distinguish between a regular PC and a professional workstation perhaps points to what I might consider your apparent ignorance regarding hardware of this class, be it Apple or otherwise. The Dell Precision 690 is for example rated for continuous operation in a maximum ambient temperature of 40 degrees centigrade. Most "PC's" would give up before that and would not run stably at that temperature. What you're getting with a workstation over a desktop are various factors: Increased expandability, more reliable operation and space for more storage. Expandability and enhanced serviceability is a de facto requirement, as well as more robust build and better support. It is actually built differently to a 'normal' desktop, even a higher-end one.

The thing is, you probably don't know better (and neither do some journalists who look at regular desktops all the time) because you haven't come across this class of hardware in the PC world. Apple's genius (as such) is marketing and in this case the recent practice of upselling users to a true professional workstation instead of a regular upper-model PC. The Mac world hasn't had a 'normal' desktop since the Amelio days - even the G4 was a quasi-workstation for the time. This kind of gear has to date usually been used by engineering professionals, and isn't something that's normally considered for the mass market on the PC side at least.

There has been a slight change recently with the advent of very high performance gaming PC's - which have also taken on workstation characteristics. The Dell XPS 710 is one such example, equipped with a 1KW supply (as the Mac Pro), 4 snap-in HDD drive bays in addition to front panel slots and enhanced airflow management around all componentry.

By that token, it was laughable for Mac-bashers to compare a G5 to a (although of course the Intel Switch has exposed the megahertz myth given the huge jump in Apple performance with the new processors as opposed to the relatively incremental increase in Windows machines) higher-end desktop for that reason - you were comparing a workstation against a desktop and the comparisons weren't equal. It is however equally laughable for someone to berate a long-time user of professional workstations for critically examining the Mac Pro from that standpoint.

The aesthetic work is great, I am not taking that away from Apple. However things such as the drive bay design is inferior even to the simple snap-in plastic carriers from Dell from a functional point of view. And as a professional workstation, function should be utmost in the minds of its designers. By being sidetracked by design, Apple have created a 'wow' machine which definitely takes the first impressions crown from the aforesaid 690 - but clearly doesn't work quite as well in a production environment.

The practice of bundling a low-end consumer service contract with a professional workstation these days is also lackadaisical. Anything else, or is that all?

20. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I saw that yesterday too - I just glanced past it...then "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!":p

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

An award is an award after all - and even better if it's from 'the other side' ;) It's on quite prominently on the product screen as well.

22. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Yea, i saw this too. I was gonna post it, but i didn't know which forum to put it under. But, it seems like they're kinda scared of Apple if they have to resort to such that kind of advertisement.