Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Thought it was pretty nifty. :D

Attachments

• winvmac.jpg
    winvmac.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 212

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
stoid said:
I think that it is a perfect analogy.

Yes Apple is simpler, but when something does break deep down, it's much harder to get to , and requires a lot more effort and expertise.

I think this is simply wrong. I spent years and years with Windows, and feel like I'm pretty good at troubleshooting problems with it and fixing them. After a year with OS X though, I feel MUCH more comfortable with how OS X works. It's UNIX so you can change just about anything you want to. Troubleshooting has so far been incredibly easy compared to Windows. And on a more abstract level, OS X uses an open source kernel, so if you really want to you can tweak fundamental parts of the OS. Windows is entirely closed off, and for the most part, its internals are completely hidden from the user.

stoid

macrumors 601
mduser63 said:
I think this is simply wrong. I spent years and years with Windows, and feel like I'm pretty good at troubleshooting problems with it and fixing them. After a year with OS X though, I feel MUCH more comfortable with how OS X works. It's UNIX so you can change just about anything you want to. Troubleshooting has so far been incredibly easy compared to Windows. And on a more abstract level, OS X uses an open source kernel, so if you really want to you can tweak fundamental parts of the OS. Windows is entirely closed off, and for the most part, its internals are completely hidden from the user.

Oh yes, software problems, but hardware.... Apple really likes to keep the user locked out of hardware upgrades. They're getting more open, especially with the iMac G5. It's to be expected though, since Apple is a hardware company and they'd rather you buy a new machine than stick newer parts in the one you've got.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
stoid said:
Oh yes, software problems, but hardware.... Apple really likes to keep the user locked out of hardware upgrades. They're getting more open, especially with the iMac G5. It's to be expected though, since Apple is a hardware company and they'd rather you buy a new machine than stick newer parts in the one you've got.

Have you SEEN the inside of a Powermac? These systems are the cleanest and easiest to access I've seen. Even the G4 towers with the fold-down side were brilliantly laid out.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
"a picture is worth a thousand words" i think thats the how the cliche goes..lol

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
decksnap said:
Have you SEEN the inside of a Powermac? These systems are the cleanest and easiest to access I've seen. Even the G4 towers with the fold-down side were brilliantly laid out.

powermac very easy every other desktop very hard but thats partially because they have style that no pc's that I can think of have. Laptops are hard to get at for everyone so they dont count.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
stoid said:

Oh OK, I thought you were talking about software (after all, MS is a software company). I mostly agree with you. However, my Power Macs are very easy to work on, and while I haven't had anything go wrong with them, I feel pretty confident that unless the logic board goes out, I'll be able to fix them. Also, Apple does sell parts for Power Mac G5s. Things like fans, replacement optical drives, replacement modems, bluetooth modules etc.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
tech4all said:
Imagine having a nice shiny Apple logo on the front of you car :cool:

Cool picture btw!

My fiance is going to get one of those Mini Coopers within the next year or so probably, and we're going to take one of our apple stickers that comes with the iPods and put it on her back glass. I think it would look sharp right in the middle of the back glass, but we'll see what she thinks, hehe. :p

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
NewbieNerd said:
Ugh, I am so glad Apple doesn't have those ugly colors on the apple symbol anymore. I might refuse to buy macs just for that! :D

I loved that logo! Your right though, the multi colour apple would look bad on a nice Cinema Display instead of the silver mirror finish they currently have.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
rickvanr said:
I loved that logo! Your right though, the multi colour apple would look bad on a nice Cinema Display instead of the silver mirror finish they currently have.

Yeah, I have to say that the rainbow apple was much cooler than the apple today. It represented innovation to me. The new apple represents slickness. Slickness is cool, but not as cool as innovation.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
maxterpiece said:
Yeah, I have to say that the rainbow apple was much cooler than the apple today. It represented innovation to me. The new apple represents slickness. Slickness is cool, but not as cool as innovation.

Couldn't agree more. I just wish I said it myself.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
aw. those two pics are cool! this should be: "funny windows vs Mac OSX and PC vs MAC pics" thread. il start looking around for some more entertaining ones.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
While I do like the first pic, I am growing very tired of computer-car analogies. I think we need a new forum rule about this. A Mac is not a BMW, Benz, <insert luxury car of choice here>. It is a computer.

</rant>

Hickman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.