Founder of Linux distributor Red Hat has offered Apple Compu...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 4, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G5

nagromme

:D

:p

3. macrumors 68000

Hahahahahaha.......

Take that TigerDirect....

Hahahahahaha.......

4. macrumors 65816

Poff

Good stuff. Funny. Too funny. :D

5. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Systemax, Grow up!

Tiger for apple is an OS, not a division of the company. If the Patent office gave them a patent for the name and use, then it is legal.

Our Tiger is bigger then yours! :eek: :D

6. macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one a bit freaked out by the fact that there are three posts, from three users, all in a row, and that all have "gems" with reflections on them?

7. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Considering how litigious Apple is and protective of it's IP and trademarks, I'm not inclined to have too much sympathy for them in this case.

8. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

As nice as the gesture is I think Jobs will keep this in his back pocket for now. I have to imagine the man is livid over this and probably wants to medieval on Tiger Direct's butt at some point with a counter suit.. I know I would and I don’t even have an ego a quarter the size of Steve's.

Still. Very cool.

9. macrumors regular

Shows that trademarks are an invention of the comedy industry.

10. macrumors 68000

I apologise for that post but I really couldn't stop laughing at the apparent drama that is unfolding. First, TigerDirect sues the day before Apple launches OS 10.4 which is obvious that they just want some dough (and even worse is that the lawsuit is based on some internet search engine result.....). Then someone came along and tore up TigerDirect ticket to stardom in a single stroke. Mr Young just show Systemax how absurd their lawsuit is, single-handedly.

11. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Angelneo, I think he's talking about your avatar, not the contents of your post. ;) :D

But I find this really funny too...I'm not sure how much sympathy I do/don't have for Apple (certainly less than for TigerDirect :rolleyes:), but I respect RedHat gangsta' now. :)

12. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I was talking about the avatars. Look at them! All the same shape and size, with the same little oval reflection on the top! ARGH! Too...much...coincidence...to...mentally...handle...

/me head a sploads (Bragging right to the person who guesses where this is from)

13. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, I'm not sure where that comes from, but now that you brought up the gem avatars, it's CREEPING me out. :eek: :p :D

14. macrumors 6502a

SBZone

15. macrumors Core

that is quite funny..... stupid TigerDirect has probably lost almost all Mac customers now... ;)

16. macrumors 6502a

Good man. Knows his Homestar Runner.

17. macrumors newbie

They lost me that's for sure.

18. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

While Mr. Young's gesture is...ehhh...cute, it should have no bearing on this matter. The issue is not that the word "tiger" has been trademarked (patented, whatever), the problem arises from the similarity of the two Tigers. Albeit thin, the link between computer software and computer reseller is at least present. The link between tiger baseball and tiger computer is wholly non-existant.

Its the same as the possible G6 controversy between car maker and computer maker.

19. macrumors G5

nagromme

That orb style with the reflection on top is no coincidence on a Mac site :) It's found throughout Mac OS X. Such as the .Mac icon, Network Prefs, iTMS flags, Internet Connect, and the 3 window gadgets.

I gave the idea to Apple of course ;)

20. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

IT WAS YOU!!!

:p

21. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

"Who are we? The Wildcats!"
    "Who are we going to beat? The Wildcats!"

The Tiger Cats were the worst team ever in the CFL 2 seasons ago, only won one game out of the whole season

I found the headline funny thinking that OS X ripped off Red Hat, not thinking of the Tiger Cats

The CFL season starts up soon.. the new jersies for the whole league are putrid

22. macrumors 65816

James Philp

"136 years ago we were called The Tigers," Mr. Young said. "If anyone owns the exclusive rights to the word "tiger" with that much history and tradition, it's gotta be us."

A simple Google search tuner up this.
    Just remember, we Brits can outdate all of ya's! :p

23. macrumors 68000

Hahaha... I thought you are saying about the "gems" (wisdom) with "reflections" (thoughts) on "them" (our post).... in a mocking manner. and coincidentally, the first 3 posts are just laughing noise.

Damm... guess I have to changed my avatar. Looks like back to the drawing board.

24. macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say they lost me too because of this...

... but they lost me years ago thanks to all the times they screwed up our orders and just all around bad service. Newegg all the way for me now.