Fountain pens

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveman Deluxe, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Hi all. I know we have some pen aficionados here, so I thought this would be a good place to ask. I recently bought a Pilot Duet fountain pen. Of course, Pilot no longer makes any fountain pens except for the disposable Varsity line. What baffles me is that I can't seem to find any cartridges for the pen anywhere. Not on eBay and not from any retailer I can find. Can anybody help me find cartridges for the pen?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could try to look for Parker cartridges, they should be the same size and you can find them at some walmarts or walgreens my university bookstore has 'em too

You probably dont need Pilot specific cartridges because if i remember correctly they are universal in size,ect

good luck!

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Pilot still make them. In the US the fountain pens are now sold under the Namiki name. Try looking for part numbers IC50 and IC100 under either name, one of those will very likely fit.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

that would be too easy :) There is a variety of lengths and widths, though just about all pens do have similar stabby tubes.

5. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

iMeowbot: Thanks for the advice. However, I just realized that the pen is also coming with a squeeze converter, so I should be fine--just need to get some bottled ink. Any inks that you guys recommend for that? I'll probably experiment with the cartridges too, and I'll definitely look for Namiki cartridges.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The fun part of using a reservoir is that now you get to spend a king's ransom on all the pretty colors until you find something you like.

I like the blue-black and purple inks, but the biggest pain is finding something that dries fast because I'm a lefty. I have a large stash of violet Quink that one of my grandparents bought a long time ago (40s I'd guess) that I really like, but that particular ink (both color and formulation) is no longer made.

7. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

My fountain pen arrived today and I really like it. I'm using Winsor & Newton blue-black ink and I think it's really great. I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to fill the reservoir, but I eventually got it. Next time, though, I think I'll just use an eyedropper to do so.