Four Burger King hamburgers? That'll be $4,300. Please pull up to the next window.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Link :D

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I can't stand incompetent people. I would flip the hell out on that cashier.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

They only give him those free bugers....they suppose to hook him up with a years worth......well people make mistakes.

Bless

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I was going to make a comment about people using debit cards to pay for fast food... but then I remembered that when I was a teenager (and this was way back in the pre-debit card era), and had my very first checking account, I used to pay for food at Burger King with a check. :eek:

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Reminds me of a time my friend bought some food at the local Korean food market and was charged over $2000. His checks started bouncing, and he called the bank to see what was up. He asked why they hadn't called him to confirm the charge since he rarely debits anything over $100, and what they even thought he could have bought a Korean food store for that much money. The bank rep seriously suggested that he could have bought drugs.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Ever wondered why McDonald's has colour coded buttons on it's tills rather than numbers? It's a bit hard to seriously overcharge someone by pressing red twice.

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My brother brought something like this onto his own head some time ago when he did his internet banking. He was entering a bill payment and wanted to type in $20, but the zero key was sticking and he didn't realize he had actually put in $2000. This money was instantly zapped away to pay his cell phone bill.

$2000 is a lot of airtime, and he was on the phone for hours into the evening trying to get that money back. Luckily he was able to reverse the bill payment pretty quickly.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

one time i was processing an online election campaign donation on behalf of my brother (he was on the phone with me at the time)... i put in 25 or 50 (whatever he wanted to donate) and hit submit, but nothing seemed to happen. i tried various amounts that were smaller and then ended up clicking the radio button for $4000..... the max... and the submit worked! :eek:

he got his money back, b ut it took a while, and he still shows up as having contributed 4000 bucks to the campaign on some tracking websites. ;)

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

I could never spend over $4000 for four Burger King burgers. Maybe at Jack in the Box, but certainly not Burger King.

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Oh, right, you've never made a mistake. :rolleyes:

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I accidently tried to charge someone $175,275 for a 1 small and 1 large ice cream cone once. Unfortunately we only took cash, and they didn't have enough on hand. :p

13. Motley macrumors 6502

And this is why I don't use debit cards. I like the extra buffer before my bank account that I get with a credit card.

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

lol this is an ammusing story at best, although I know everytime I use my debit card I'm presented with a screen saying "$4.33 purchase OK?" and it list the amount, so the guy did hit OK for this big purchase

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not necessarily. If you use your debit card as a credit card (which you can if it's VISA or Mastercard branded) at a drive-thru, most places just swipe your card and hand you back the card and a receipt. There's no signing, no PIN entry, no OKing anything.

16. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I had my debit card charged for $50.33 at a Starbucks instead of $5.33. They never have you sign anything and rarely provide a receipt. I was able to get it worked out in a couple of days though.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wow. Here in Canada, I've never seen a system quite like that - if you use debit (we call it Interac), you must confirm the amount and then enter your PIN. There's no other way, that I've ever seen.

I can understand when a number is mistyped and nobody sees, but what really gets me is the lack of common sense some people have. My friends were buying groceries one day and a carton of lemonade accidentally rang in at something crazy, and the cashier turned to my friend and said, "That'll be $197.73 please", looking expectantly for him to hand over the cash. It took a few seconds before someone finally had the nerve to speak up and explain to her that $197.73 could not possibly be the correct price for lemonade, a loaf of bread, and a bag of chips.

We still joke about "the really expensive lemonade".

18. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Ripped off

That's strange about it but I think Burger King is a bit ripped off.

What happen was when I was working at my old job place, the burger king sausage busciut was like 1.75 a piece (went there several times) but when we moved to new business place, and the other burger king is .85 cent! :eek: Do you think they ripped us off or what? :confused:

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, in the US at least, as long as your debit card bears a VISA or MasterCard logo, you can use it just like a credit card, and many places that only generate small charges don't have you sign for credit cards and just do the card swipe to get you through easily and quickly.

Well, it was Canadian dollars after all. ;)

20. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

I don't use credit cards since my last one got taken away. :p

When I used to work and actually had money :eek: I had two checking accounts my paychecks were direct deposited into one and I transfered money into the other one as needed. The second one was the only one linked to my debit card so someone couldn't accidentally charge me $4G for a big mac the charge just wouldn't go through.

I mainly had the two account setup because at the time I did a lot of shopping online and liked the security of a someone only being able to grab what I had in that checking account which was usually only what I spent plus $20 to keep the account open.

21. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

This is one of many reasons why I pay with cash for most of my transactions.

22. Motley macrumors 6502

And they even advertise debit cards as easier to use than checks or credit cards, you don't have all those annoying hassles such as signing things or pulling out drivers license:rolleyes:

23. jkballer23 macrumors member

Yeah, I usually carry at least $10-$20 worth of cash. Anything more than that I pay credit card.

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

This is odd, because i know that at the Dunkin Donuts in the hospital you HAVE to sign the statement for any charge over 25 dollars. I thought that was a national thing for quick food places and not just dunkin donuts being nice.

weird

25. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

It varies depending on what processing system the company is using.

Here in New York most debit cards have the NYCE symbol and you can use it as a debit card any place that accepts NYCE cards otherwise you have to use it as a credit card (providing you have Visa or MC logo)

At Wal-Mart in NY I cannot use my debit card as a credit card (which I like to do since I don't have to enter my pin infront of everyone) even if you press credit it automatically detects the NYCE system and forces debit/PIN entry. When I go to PA I cannot use my debit as a debit because their system doesn't support NYCE and it only "sees" a Visa.