Four US soldiers charged with murder in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zaid, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

US soldiers in murder probe [BBC]

Winning hearts and minds(tm)

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's very important to remember not to hate the individual soldiers for the actions of some of them (or the whole administration). It's just as bad as them hating all Americans because of our government, or us hating all of them because of the terrorist actions of some fundamentalists. Though this is why we're not helping our case, and actually making things worse over there for us IMO.

I wonder if those responsible will be brought to justice, or whether we will be told not to think about it because it hurts moral and makes us look weak.

Edit: Why do we have to hear about this from the BBC? Where is our liberal media when we need them? Now that makes us look bad.

3. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't mean to imply that this should be held against all soldiers or all Americans. Sorry if thats what came across.

I think the soldiers will probably be brought to justice, but'll probably get of with the equivalent of a wrist slap, (ok maybe more of a spank :) ) but certainly nothing on par with their actions.

The hearts and minds comment was aimed at the fact that the adminstration (and the Army top brass) were aiming at winning the hearts and minds of people in Iraq and the region, yet the environment which they created, (which must carry some of the blame for these actions) has done the exact opposite.

Though I'm sure somebody is going to come along and say that :
    1. Its war and horrible stuff happens durig war, so tough
    2. The actions must have been justified, because the general must have been guilty of X Y and Z
    3. Its just a few bad apples.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow.... Just when you think this war can't get any worse.... :(

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

consequences for actions? i'd say that's an improvement.

i wonder if the trials will be open. if i were working for the defense, i'd be preparing subpoenas for people faaaarrrrrr up the command chain.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know what you meant, I just wanted to head this off before it got ugly. Didn't mean to make it seem like that's what I thought you meant, because I know you didn't. It's all cool. :D

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's been tried. I believe the defense for at least one of the soldiers in the Abu Ghraib courts martial was trying to call Rumsfeld and possibly even Cheney IIRC. But when the military is the one deciding how far up things are permitted to go, the have a vested interest in the findings being that it was a few bad apples that acted on their own. I highly doubt anyone over the rank of cpl will face any military court.