Four year AppleCare. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umdjb, Jan 27, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy the low end MBP stock. My school offers a promotion for a four year applecare. If I buy from my school I spend about 50 bucks more for the extra year of Applecare than buying with the regular student discount and getting three years.

I am just wondering if any of you think the 50 bucks is worth the extra year? I am unsure how long I plan to hold the computer, although I would like to upgrade my machine after two years. I am also aware of the potential added resale value of an additional year of Applecare.

Feedback welcome!

Thanks,
    Josh

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't think this is "AppleCare" as you would buy it from Apple but rather an extended warranty offered by your school. i believe AppleCare is simply three years of coverage from the purchase date of your machine. i don't think you can get a 4-year plan through Apple.

that said, if your school is offering 4 years of coverage, why not go for it? many people here (including me) would recommend you get AppleCare for a notebook computer anyway, so you might as well get your school's promotion and lock yourself in for four years of protection.

3. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

No, it definitely is AppleCare. I am ordering it directly from the Apple website as it says "four year apple care."

If I had a (my) Mac I could screen shot and post it.

=(

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I say go for it.

Just went over three years with my current PowerBook 15. AppleCare has enabled me to keep the PowerBook this long. Wish I had another year of coverage.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

that it's definitely Apple doesn't really change my answer. i say go for it and get the protection - if you don't and something goes wrong in your 4th year of school you'll be forced to pony up the big bucks (potentially) to get it fixed.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Plus if you sell your computer, it helps to have a warranty to transfer.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I say four years is a long time to have a computer and I mean the younger you are the more likely you are to need to sell the old one to get a new one ...

I wouldn't pay for it but thats me (I have regular applecare on my powerbook) . I would doubt this fourth year transfer since it seems so highly unordinary.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My university has the same 4-year AppleCare plan on their suggested hardware.

9. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

Did you take advantage of it?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It was on a MacBook. It only seems to apply to the recommended system. I'm not sure if I can put it onto my iMac.

11. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah I would.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Which is exactly why I would purchase the 4 year plan.

The person who purchases your computer will feel more at ease since it will be covered under warranty.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if umdjb is planning to buy a computer for school, i think it is safe to say it'll be with him all four years. while the temptation to upgrade to the latest technology may be powerful, the lack of either money or necessity often prevails, especially for college students.

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

How do you get this option? 4 year Applecare... Apple has faith in their quality products!

16. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

I get the four year applecare through a special promo with my university. I am not going to be in school for more than another year. So the computer will be with me after I graduate after which time I will probably want to upgrade.