Four year-old joy rider takes the wheel

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5300cs, Feb 8, 2005.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

The story:

DETROIT (Reuters) - A 4-year-old Michigan boy took underage driving to new extremes by slipping behind the wheel of his mother's car for an overnight visit to the local video store.

Nile Hayden, mayor of the small town of Sand Lake in the southwest corner of the state, said the boy's "joy ride," which ended with more than one fender bender, occurred about 1:30 a.m. last Friday.

He drove about a quarter mile (0.4 km) from his home to the video store without incident, Hayden told Reuters.

The store was closed. On the boy's return home, he hit two parked vehicles before backing up into a police cruiser, Hayden said.

"Once the officers got him out of the car and sat him on the hood of our car, he started crying and saying: 'I want to go into the house. I want to go back to bed,'" Hayden said.

Hayden said the boy was unaware of the seriousness of what he had done. "How many 4-year-olds get up and wander around the house or go out (at night)?" he added, saying no charges were being filed in the case.

"What he was doing was jump down, hit the accelerator, and get back up so he could see where he was going," Hayden said, explaining how someone who was too short to reach the floor pedals was able to drive a car.

"It looked like a drunk passing in and out."

:eek: He's lucky he didn't kill someone!

Next time you want to teach your kid to drive mom, get him a ***** PlayStation instead :mad: :rolleyes: (another story said the mother taught him to drive by sitting him on her lap and letting him steer.)

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I think there was already a thread about this. To lazy to find it.

Edit: No sorry I was wrong, I had read it on my homepage

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow, i wonder about some parents these days, poor kid, i hope he grows up to be okay

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I hope he remembered his ID so he could rent a video when he got there. :)

I'm glad no people were hurt.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i read this on the bbc site the other day. that is pretty impressive with the fact he knew how to start it up steer and to get it into gear! well i suppose it was an auto, anyone can drive an auto, even a 4 year old as it has just been proven!

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Quite an amazing story. Happy to hear that no one was hurt. He's quite a precocious young man. At four years old, don't think I could have even got out of the house.

7. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

This even got in to the news on national TV here in Belgium.

LOL (thank god most cars have manual gears here :D )