Fox and Disney iTunes Movie Rentals, 24 Hours Only?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Variety cites studio sources and confirms previous reports that Apple will be announcing iTunes movie rentals at Macworld San Francisco 2008.

They also report that both Fox and Disney have signed on to provide movies for the new iTunes movie rental service. Variety, however, expects rental costs between $2 to $5 for only a 24 hour period. This is a significantly shorter window than earlier rumors which reported 30-day rentals. Variety does not cite specific sources for its pricing information, so could represent speculation.

Apple will be kicking off Macworld San Francisco with a keynote address on Tuesday, January 15th, 2008.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A 24 hour limits is garbage. I will not go for it.

3. macrumors regular

It's probably just like the Xbox Live movie rental service, with a 30 day time limit on the download, which turns into 24 hours after you start watching the movie.

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

6. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Fox, eh? 1-day rentals, eh?

Anyone remember DIVX?

(No, not the video codec)

7. macrumors 6502a

thats pretty much what Comcast charges for their movies on OnDemand :/

8. macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Yeah, I hate that idea too, but I can see it happening that way. 30 days would be excellent, but a bit unrealistic to hope for I feel. If its $5 for NEW movies, I'm sorry that's just a laugh. It's like these studios don't WANT to make money or something. If it was $1.99 for new releases AND old releases, they'd be making money HAND over FIST, and not losing anything for it. Right now, its like they like giving Redbox and Netflix the money instead. Silly. --Though, its probably all that "on-demand" cable money interfering with things now. I don't have cable, so I couldn't care less about those.

~ CB

9. macrumors regular

Yep and so does Time Warner...And to me thats just great! 24 hours to watch a movie I will only see once...

If I want to see the movie more, I'll go buy the DVD....

And I believe thats what the industry wants consumers to do...

10. macrumors 6502

30 days did seem far too long for only $2.99. I think 7-10 days would be a good amount of time for rental.

11. macrumors 68020

Its most likely 24 hours after you start watching the film.

12. macrumors 6502a

law guy

On-Demand

Maybe they're taking a cue from services like On Demand with it's $3.99 for 24 hour rentals. Of course that's new releases. Older movies are usually free on demand. The down side is that what's available changes every few weeks or months. But it's still hundreds of movies for "free" (or at least included in the cost of your cable service) and I can usually find something in there when I finally have time to watch a movie. Not to mention all of the TV shows that are on there on-demand for free. We are constantly (or so it seems) calling up Calliou or Kipper or Sagwa from the PBS Sprout On Demand channel. Then there's Discovery and all the music vids on-demand for free.

So all of those free movies, free tv shows, delivered to any TV in my house (instead of a computer or add-on like Apple TV) that I can pause or stop and come back to or just order again, and new releases for $3.99... I guess it will take some convincing for someone like me that what Apple is reported to be proposing will add value.

13. macrumors 6502a

24 hours is too short and here is why...

Apple is pushing mobile video. Unless you have an AppleTV, fine because you will most likely be sitting in front of your TV already with time to watch. But, for the most people who don't have AppleTV, and whom aren't ready to watch, it sucks.

I've missed out on a couple movies on Xbox Live already because I've been interrupted during a portion of it and by the time I come back, no go.

14-day rental or even 7-day rental periods would be great.

14. macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    True, perhaps... but you should know better than to repeatedly call it "free". It's like you've been hypnotized by them or something. You need to use the word "included", which of course casts a pall over your argument, but to folks like me who continue to debate whether they even NEED cable... its a very salient point. You put a significant amount of money in their bank each and every month. I certainly don't. At the end of the year, how much money have you paid them? You can also rip your DVDs to your Apple TV too. It has other uses.

~ CB

15. macrumors 6502

gifford

Does not sound a too bad deal to me. I would most defo be game.

I want a spontaneous service where I dont have to travel, or pop anything in the post.
    I dont want to have to be signed up to some cable or satellite service.
    I want it on my computer, and I want to watch it today.

I HATE Blockbuster with a passion, and look forward to Apple annihilating them.

16. macrumors 6502a

I'd gladly go for a 24 hour rental from iTunes to watch a film I only would want to watch once anyways, GIVEN it's quality/bitrate.

17. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    24 hours makes no sense given Apple's (current, at least) model of allowing viewing of content on multiple devices. So... I rent Star Wars (thanks, FOX). I watch a little bit of it on my AppleTV. The next morning on the bus, I watch a little more on my iPhone. At lunch, I watch some more on iTunes at work. I have to get all of this done within 24 hours?

Maybe. But hopefully not. I guess the counterargument is that you'd buy it if you wanted that much flexibility with viewing options. <sigh>

18. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Step 1 - Download Movie
    Step 2 - Sync movie to iPod
    Step 3 - Don't sync to iTunes again until your ready to 'return' your rental.

19. macrumors member

I will go for 24 hours for 2 bucks a movie. Who needs to keep a rental for 30 days anyway.

20. macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

24 hours starting after the 1st play of the movie kinda makes sense. It's like PPV. Would be nice if it was a little longer (48-72 hours). Why do I get a feeling that something might happen such as the 24 hour clock starts ticking right after download completes. Boy is this going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Do we really think Lucas will allow us to rent Star Wars right off the bat? He will have to create the iPhone and :apple:tv special editions first. :)

21. macrumors 604

gkarris

Same as Tivo...

22. macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

My guesses, by taking bits and pieces from everywhere...
    1.99 for 24 hours
    2.99 for 7 days
    4.99 for 30 days

One of these models will happen, in my opinion. I just hope it's more than Fox and Disney. Too bad Steve wasn't on the board of Universal :rolleyes: .

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather rent the Bourne Identity than High School Musical...

:apple:

23. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm sure the videos will be automatically deleted from the iPod when the given duration has expired - sync or not.

1 day is too short, but 30 days was a bit long. I would put my money on 5 or 10 days.

24. macrumors 6502

24 hours is about how long it will take to be hacked.

25. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    I think you make an excellent point. I haven't seen an incidence of DRM yet that hasn't been circumvented in relatively short order.