Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

News Corp's president and chief operating officer revealed that News Corp, which owns Fox movie studio, is in "positive talks" with Apple regarding putting their movies on Apple's iTunes Store.

A timeframe was not offered and several details still need to be worked out.

Apple launched movie sales on iTunes in September with only Disney-affiliated movies available. Fox movies could provide iTunes with a massive library of movies, including the Star Wars franchise.

Apple has been expected to add other studios to the iTunes store since its launch. There had been rumors, however, of hold ups due to concerns from retail shops about the impact on DVD sales. Earlier reports expect that studios may be waiting until the end of the 4th quarter to avoid impacting holiday DVD sales.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Awesome! Can't wait to download my own iTunes copy of From Justin to Kelly! :D

^^ joke ^^

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Awesome, I'd love to have some Star Wars.

What I'd REALLY like is Movies and TV Shows to be worldwide

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Meh.

I would be excited but I am still waiting to see what Apple does to counter the Xbox360 HD movie salvo that MS fired yesterday. The 'iTV' isn't looking too hot these days…

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Meh.

I would be excited but I am still waiting to see what Apple does to counter the Xbox360 HD movie salvo that MS fired yesterday. The 'iTV' isn't looking too hot these days…

I tend to agree...BUT iTV was only hinted at, with few details. Let's wait and see what the final product is.
And, in cany case, don't forget that when the iPod first came out, the Mac failthful initially panned it.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
"We've only just begun to live,
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way.
And yes, We've just begun."

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I was actually hoping Apple's Movie Store would flop. Apple needs a wake-up call, and needs to stop cutting corners.

I bought one to test the system; I won't be buying anymore until they are DVD quality.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I was actually hoping Apple's Movie Store would flop. Apple needs a wake-up call, and needs to stop cutting corners.

I bought one to test the system; I won't be buying anymore until they are DVD quality.

right, and we all have 20Meg /s net connections with unlimited bandwidth...

pfft

Belisarius

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
South Carolina
Actually, having FOX on board wouldn't mean Star Wars movies coming to iTunes. FOX does not hold the rights to Star Wars, LucasFilm does. This was part of Lucas' original deal with FOX back in 1977 when Ep. IV came out, along with merchandising rights. So no Star Wars on the iTS until Lucas decides to sell them that way, which I think will be a while.

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
Actually, having FOX on board wouldn't mean Star Wars movies coming to iTunes. FOX does not hold the rights to Star Wars, LucasFilm does. This was part of Lucas' original deal with FOX back in 1977 when Ep. IV came out, along with merchandising rights. So no Star Wars on the iTS until Lucas decides to sell them that way, which I think will be a while.

You're dead right there - and I'm sure Lucas would only make them available through means of a fantastic deal for Lucasfilm. He doesn't need iTunes to make money off of Star Wars - he could do it any way he wants and he'll line his already bulging pockets further. Still.... would be great though.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Meh.

Yeah, MS fired a good one. However, I think people are far more likely to buy a $300 box to attach to their TV than a gaming system for digital media.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Yeah, MS fired a good one. However, I think people are far more likely to buy a $300 box to attach to their TV than a gaming system for digital media.

<i>Gamers</i> are more likely to use their gaming system for... well, for whatever. Apple has never paid much attention to gamers.

Everyone else, you're welcome to iTV.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
When iTV was announced people were saying it would be contradictory for Apple to put a DVR in it, because they offer TV shows available for download. Now Microsoft offers TV downloads via Xbox 360 and a DVR via Win Media Center, so how come it's not contradictory for MS to do so?

In my opinion Apple needs to offer a dvr of some sorts to compete.

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
When iTV was announced people were saying it would be contradictory for Apple to put a DVR in it, because they offer TV shows available for download. Now Microsoft offers TV downloads via Xbox 360 and a DVR via Win Media Center, so how come it's not contradictory for MS to do so?

In my opinion Apple needs to offer a dvr of some sorts to compete.

The 360 will also allow you to download and play them in HD now. That's the big story here. With Connect360 I've been able to access my 'book's iTunes and iPhoto library wirelessly on the 360. With the free Fall Update on the 360, users are now capable of streaming media--without Media Center--on their PCs. Once there's a solution to streaming video from a Mac that will be the kiss of death for a lot current 360/Mac owners buying an iTV.

Personally, I'll get an iTV for the plasma in my living room, but I'm hoping it supports HD or I can't do it. Now, if there was a way to access iTunes HD content (if there ever is such a beastie) through the 360 that would be KILLER. This may be an opportunity--dare I say it--for MS and Apple to work together to provide content--especially if the Zune is a massive failure. It's a GREAT time to be a Mac/360 owner!

B

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
right, and we all have 20Meg /s net connections with unlimited bandwidth...

pfft

They should offer the option of the HD download, just like for their movie trailers. If you have the bandwidth, download the HD. If you don't, download the SD. I won't be buying til at least DVD quality (unless maybe if I upgrade my ipod between now and then, I'm still using a 3G).

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
Fox features on iTunes Store...

It was really only a matter of time. The technology still has a few kinks to work out, but the business model is sound and successful.

I bought a TV show, just to test the user experience. As a video professional, I was somewhat dissapointed with the quality of the image, but I was using an older, slower G4. Perhaps quicktime was optimized to drop frames in order to keep running in real time?

I was hoping it would be the same H.264 compression that Apple uses for Quicktime Movie Trailers. Those downloads (streams?) look outstanding!

Eventually, I'm sure that video quality and user experience will be outstanding. After all, the first automobile manufactured was not a Ferrari Enzo.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
more studios need to sign on. this is essential.

but apple also needs to offer more freedom with studios on pricing. the dvd retailers don't want new titles being offered for much less than they can offer.

also... lets face it. many people want video rentals, including studios. I wouldnt mind myself. who wants to permenantly own a movie on my mac? i don't, it isnt same quality as dvd or Blu-Ray.

i'd much rather download it for a 48 hour playback window once first played.

ie, download it and put it on my video ipod or laptop., and it be playable on a trip, or somthing, but then later expire.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I hope this is true. I have noticed that some movies have disappeared from the store. :eek:

I saw Waterboy was on there a while back and decided I would purchase it when I had some disposable funds. Last night I went on and Waterboy has disappeared along with another movie but I cant remember what it was called (t'was a war film).

Anyhoo... they really need some new content. The best film on the store in my opinion is Tombstone, which I already have.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I would Deffintly Download The Uncut Starwars a new hope if fox got this deal done i dont need any of the dvds cause i got the newer cuts already but wouldnt mind having it on my ipod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.