Fox proves lying to the public is constitutional.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Oct 5, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

Court approved lying. I spose this is what the US terms "freedom of Speech".

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Our last two presidents have proven it's Constitutional to lie. And the sitting one has proven it's unimpeachable too, as long as it's only a lie about war and not about your sex life.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not sure what I find more eyebrow raising, Florida's Appeals Court ruling or FOX. Talk about the "business of news." Slightly OT, but the media consolidation mentioned towards the end of the article was given the big "thumbs up" by the T-com Act of 1996. That genie is out of the bottle and, unfortunetly, I don't see it getting shoved back in.

Lethal

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We need to clone Teddy Roosevelt.

Anti-trust laws need to be enforced/strengthened in this nation.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Agreed.

At the very least we need another Pres that can be shoot and bleeding but not go to the hospital until he's done w/his speech. :D

Lethal

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

OT, but Andy Jackson was in a duel once.

His opponent fired first, and struck Andy sqaure in the chest, near the heart.

Jackson recoiled, recovered, took careful and deliberate aim, and shot his horrified and panicked opponent between the eyes.

8. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well only in some cases... But lying is bad:)....

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is rediculous. This is Freedom of the Press, and Freedom of Speech, but there is also a responsibility for truth. You have to take responsibility for your actions, and for what you say. Yelling fire in a crowded theatre, and all. If you report a false statement, it becomes libel. Parody and editorials have different rules, but the news is supposed to be based on fact, even if slanted.

CBS gets blasted for forged letters, even if the accounts are true. And they still retracted it because the events couldn't be verified. Fox fakes the news (which they did again recently) and no one says anything. Where's the outrage?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Where's the outrage? Right over here. I'm outraged on a full-time basis these days.