Fox vs CNN - Hatred vs Compassion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

CNN
    Fox

It's quite an eye-opener to see the difference between the readers' emailed responses to the London bombings.

Is the sadness and condemnations against violent in CNN and the anger and hatred in Fox, indicative of the respective audiences, editors or both?

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I sure hope CNN isn't considered 'liberal.' The audiences may be different, but CNN is far from being the opposite of Fox.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

What's not to hate?

37 people are dead.

Sit around, feel sorry and wait, or get angry and do something about it?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I just loved ABC this morning - big red latters at the bottom of the screen:

COULD IT HAPPEN HERE?

Um, it did? :rolleyes:

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It depends on what you do about it. The obvious answer is to invade Venezuela I guess. No, no, Iran, Iran is the country we should invade because of this terrorist attack from an organization lead by a Saudi who may have known an Iranian at some point in his life.

It's too bad we have made such a commitment to Iraq, which has... become... the.. front line.. in the war... on... terror...?

The world is a safer place, anyone? anyone?

Terrorists attacks have decreased?

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I mean I have all the compassion and empathy for everyone involved over there. I flew on the first plane out of the United States to London after 9-11 for a work assignment and the people in England were so apologetic and kind about what had happened to us. I feel so badly for the people involved.

But what do we do about these religious extremists? What's the solution?

They behead people on television from the back of the neck forward, the blow up innocent people with alarming regularity. They're animals. I feel every right to hate them.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

If you want to solve a problem you usually start by defining the problem and the root causes of it. That way, you can work out a strategy in which to solve the problem.

I would think that capturing OBL would be the first thing you would want to do though. Wouldn't it?

8. iGary Guest

iGary

He's just a speck.

There are others preaching the same hate he does.

Radical Islamic fundamentalism is the problem.

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Why? why exactly have they chosen to make it an objective of theirs to attack us? Why now?

OBL is now just a speck? OBL's role is larger than that, he has become a figurehead for others who want to follow in his footsteps and still plays a financial role. It was on NPR yesterday.

But the people want ACTION! So let's bomb Syria.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's a bloody big speck.

See your own posts above.

No. Support for or appeasement of fascistic regimes which leave their people no more effective means of political expression than suicide is the problem.

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My wife thinks I've gone from one extreme (conservative) to the other (liberal) because I've developed more compassion than judgement or hatred in my views. I prefer moderate, if you have to label me.

Fox News is another story. All I hear from them on just about any circumstance is their trying to find out whose fault it is so they can judge them and make themselves feel better. They're the symbol of the WASPy arrogance who control our country, myself excluded. Can anyone watch Bill O'Reilly anymore?

CNN at least comes across with trying to present the story as it is.

MSNBC varies in its presentations of the news.

It's hard to derive the truth from news sources. You have to watch and read them all to develop your own theories. Then again, I say we don't always know the whole story anyway.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

back on topic.

I read the first 2 or 3 of each and didn't really notice any difference, maybe it changes as the hours go by, but I saw no real difference.

These people are "Terrorist", by diffenition this is what they do. Capturing OBL will dent them good, but not stop them. It will take at least a generation to die off, to remove some of this infidel hate. There will be no overnight solution. Sitting back and doing nothing will not work, and massive strikes against them will at best keep the real fighting "over there".

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"These people" are an irresistible force meeting an immovable object. The only way to cut off the flow is to improve the conditions and reduce the provocation.
    And, understandably, lead to more implacable hatred.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

The people in Eastern Europe were oppressed for years. You didn't see them walking onto busses with backpacks full of C4 and nails.

15. katchow macrumors 6502

looks like god is sure going to be busy w/ all the requests to bless the U.S and now England. Hope he still has time for his smitings.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

17. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

True, they both suck .... Somehow we also receive CNN international here in Houston, thats a little bit better .... Darn I am really missing European news here :(

18. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    They didn't have religion

19. iGary Guest

iGary

My point exactly.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The people of Eastern Europe were also embraced by the deep pockets of the EU. They were given financial aid from the US. They were made to feel safe by membership in NATO. And the decisions to accept this aid and make these geopolitical moves was made by their own leaders who were democratically elected.

That might be some of the difference.

As for their actions under the communist regimes. Fear of the death star kept the local populatons in line.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"It will take at least a generation to die off, to remove some of this infidel hate. "

skunk, can you tell me which mideast country lacks madrassahs wherein "Jihad" against anything non-Islamic is NOT taught? My own view is that the great majority of all Islamics are happy to mind their own business in a live and let live fashion. Trouble is, there is that percentage which truly believes in the militant-hostile view of "otherness" when secular people are involved in their world.

OBL has said that our mere presence in Saudi Arabia is a profanation of holy soil. It's not just military; it's the presence of any nonbeliever, period. That's you or me or any owther non-Islamic.

So what's gonna "die off"? What's the mechanism to remove some of this infidel hate? Who's gonna make the imams or mullahs of the madrassahs shut up with their preaching and teaching of hatred of us, the Infidels?

'Rat

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Um, that wasn't my quote, 'Rat...

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The people of Eastern Europe didn't have religion during those years of oppression? Yes, they did. Remember that Pope John Paul II was Polish. And I know that Judaism had a presence there as well, by personally knowing some Polish Jews, who grew up there during the '70s.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

they are looking more like each other every day...ratings is key and basing a major show on this month's or last month's ideology is a great way to lose ratings

show the news, have a good political debate show, and break it up with some human interest stories and then you have a winning formula...editorialize too much and you have just alienated half the country and no major network can afford to do that

25. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Yes, you're right. But the USSR's official position was that there was no religion and the local territories handled that as they saw fit. The citizens of those states still had their religions (Juaism, Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, etc) but for the most part they were prevented from actively practicing. I was making a crass joke about how eager some are to commit violence on behalf of their "religion"