Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new research note published today, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White points to a new report from Chinese business site 21cbh.com claiming that Foxconn/Hon Hai has accelerated its schedule for ordering television-sized LCD panels from Sharp, fueling speculation that the panels are destined for an Apple television set that could debut in time for the holiday shopping season this year. Foxconn and Sharp announced a partnership earlier this year to advance LCD technology, a move some observers have seen as closely tied to an Apple television set.
This morning, the Chinese character version of 21cbh.com indicated in an article that Hon Hai Precision expects to start receiving LCD TV panel orders from Sharp in 3Q12 instead of 4Q12 as was originally planned. Recall, Hon Hai invested in Sharp earlier this year to secure LCD panels that we believe will largely support a new Apple TV. Based on a recent interview by 21cbh.com with a Sharp executive and information from sources at the company, the online news source believes the order is for the new Apple TV and could be available for the holiday season. In our view, a holiday launch would make for a very merry holiday season for Apple and consumers. However, we will continue to monitor the data points surrounding the timing of this launch as they could change.
In his new note, White also reiterates his claims from earlier this month regarding Apple's use of Kinect-like motion sensing technology for controlling the forthcoming television set, with the device also including an iPad-like touchscreen remote.

apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg

White continues to be one of the most optimistic analysts regarding Apple, maintaining his 12-month price target for the stock at $1,111. He believes that Apple could generate $10 billion in revenue from its television set in the first year, operating under the assumption that Apple's device will command a higher price than its competition's products and that the company will be able to grab 2% of the LCD television market in its first year.

Article Link: Foxconn Accelerating Sharp LCD Panel Orders to Launch Apple Television for Holiday Season?

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Resolution

4K pleeeeaaaasssseeee.
If apple could offer that kind of resolution in their tv set, even at a premium, it would be amazing.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
More ATV speculations...

Why is that whenever Apple looks into larger displays, it has to be a new AppleTV? Why not the more obvious answer of a new Cinema Display? After all, a new 4Kish display for Pro users and one to compliment the new MacBook Pro would make sense.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I expect to be surprised, but its hard for me to imagine a TV from Apple that would be so great that I'd pay a premium for it. I assume its got an Apple TV baked in, and will come with ala carte TV/Cable channel subscriptions -- rather than basic/premium packages you get now from cable companies -- which force you to pay for channels you never watch. THAT would be revolutionary, but why the special hardware?

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
its not going to launch in december but later in 2013 bec at current we havent seen any remarkable improvements in motion sensing technology, its just not ready...apple tv product will be based on a big ecosystem that takes time to be build and build properly.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Actually when 720p 49" display is viewed from a distance of 3 meters it has the adjusted dpi of over 300 which makes it qualify as a 'retina display'

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I still can't see apple coming out with a stand-alone TV monitor. Maybe license Atv-like software and then have tvs from other manufacturers "powered by Apple Tv" or something.... There just isn't the margin in TVs apple is used to.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I hope they don't cheapen out and go with edge lit LED displays. The black levels aren't as good.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
The number of times parts have been ordered hinting at an AppleTV we’d be on our third generation by now.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
This is going to be a Crazy Autumn/Christmas Tech Shopping Season,

Apple iPhone 5 , Small iPAD (maybe) Apple TV(Maybe too)
Windows everything (OS, Surface, Phone)
Samsung - doing everything they can

Apple TV - will be awesome just like the Retina Pro

Im Scared:( of the Price!! but why should i ?, its got the :apple: logo on it!!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I still can't see apple coming out with a stand-alone TV monitor. Maybe license Atv-like software and then have tvs from other manufacturers "powered by Apple Tv" or something.... There just isn't the margin in TVs apple is used to.

Apple is the King of Margin where none existed before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.