Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fv_iphone_7_render_top-250x239.jpg
Recruitment at two of Apple's supplier factories has kicked off earlier than expected this year, with a report from Economic Daily News stating that both suppliers are getting a head start on the iPhone 7's assembly.

The new smartphone is referred to as "more complex than previous models," leading to Foxconn and Pegatron's preemptive hiring and manufacturing schedule this year (via CNBC).

Specifically, on Foxconn's website a hiring page reads, "Foxconn Zhengzhou is hiring a large number of ordinary workers. Welcome to join Foxconn: Age between 18-40. Overall monthly salary: 3,800 renminbi. Start working immediately." Applicants are encouraged to apply promptly for the positions, with language suggesting that they might have trouble connecting with Foxconn's job hotline because of the massive amount of people applying.

Due to the posting's suggestion that the iPhone 7's design is more complex than previous generations, Apple's suppliers began the hiring process about a month earlier than they have in previous years. The early start is said to buy the two companies extra time to train the new assembling staff on the intensive build of the iPhone 7. It was the first time in two years that Foxconn began recruitment processes for the assembly of a new iPhone as early as May.

Of course, no specifics were given to explain what exactly is "more complex" about the iPhone 7 this year. Recent rumors point to 2016's iPhone 7 as having a design largely similar to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, with the probable removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack and potential introduction of a Smart Connector, although a recent rumor from Japanese site Mac Otakara contradicted reports on the latter.

Such an upgrade to this year's iPhone would set Apple up for a 2017 mega-cycle iteration on the "iPhone 8" with a new form factor potentially encompassing an edge-to-edge display and integrated Touch ID sans Home Button. But that still leaves confusion over the complexity of this year's model, although it might lie in the introduction of a dual-lens camera system, reportedly exclusive to the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus that will pack 3GB of RAM to help run the image processing of the new camera.

Article Link: Foxconn and Pegatron Begin Hiring Process Early to Prepare for 'More Complex' Build of iPhone 7

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It would be really nice to find out that Apple has a surprise in store for us. I really don't mind the form factor, so they can keep that for years on end as far as i am concerned, but so far I have not heard of any new gotta have features. At least I still don't gotta have dual lenses on my phone. And I certainly don't gotta have a missing headphone jack.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
3,800 renminbi = $580 (USD) per month. Atrocious wages for people working up to and more than 60 hours a week. Even with all things considered with cost of living, these Apple offshore factory workers are getting a completely raw deal. In addition to a jam session with Garage Band, maybe Tim brought a suitcase of bonus compensatory payments as a thank you to staff for gruelling work conditions?
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ult.jsp?country1=China&country2=United+States
http://www.chinalaborwatch.org

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
It would be really nice to find out that Apple has a surprise in store for us. I really don't mind the form factor, so they can keep that for years on end as far as i am concerned, but so far I have not heard of any new gotta have features. At least I still don't gotta have dual lenses on my phone. And I certainly don't gotta have a missing headphone jack.

This was exciting news to me too!
Like maybe they'll make it out of something crazy like graphene, lol.
Cool that there is still at least one more surprise in store for us.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
We haven't seen any leaks from the front of the phone yet. There is a very slim chance Apple might make a few changes in regards to the front of the phone.

Saying that, we'll see a leak later that shows the front of the phone remains the same!!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Have a feeling iPhone 7 will be the worst selling iPhone ever. If rumors are true won't be that many differences from the 6S.

The original iPhone only sold around 6M units in 2007. Apple has sold 222M iPhones over the last year.

It's extremely unlikely that the new iPhone will be the worst selling iPhone. In fact, I'll bet it'll sell better than the 5S, which sold around 210M.

Passing peak iPhone means that Apple sold fewer iPhones than previously. After 9 years of having sales go up and up, sales went down a bit. That doesn't mean they plummeted. If they had announced their current sales numbers last year, nobody would have been concerned at all.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There will probably still be a few surprises even if the design is the sme as the 6s. We will probably start to see actual leaks appearing of the 7 when production begins. It seems Apple wants to start early, maybe they want to avoid the usual mistake of not having enough phones at launch, especially with the dual camera feature.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Have a feeling iPhone 7 will be the worst selling iPhone ever. If rumors are true won't be that many differences from the 6S.
I'm waiting for 7S or iPhone Pro , or whatever clever name they come up with.

Don't forget there will still be people who will want to upgrade from their iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, I'm one of those people and will be getting the 7 Plus/Pro. I wouldn't count Apple out yet, even if they keep the same design and are planning a big upgrade for the 10th anniversary next year, we will still see features in this years model, and probably a couple of surprises.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Have a feeling iPhone 7 will be the worst selling iPhone ever.

Apple will sell fewer than the original iPhone (6.1 million units)? Fewer than the 3G (about 20 million units)? Ever is a misplaced hyperbole.

I have a 6 (my first iPhone) and probably won't upgrade this fall. Not because of "lack of innovation" (I see plenty of innovation - innovation isn't just adding RAM or base storage [those are nice but not innovative] or whatever else people complain about on MacRumors) but because it's good and fast enough. I'll probably upgrade next fall (2017) because that will be my standard 3 year computer upgrade cycle.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
From cool to fool. The cool simple clean design of 4s, refined over time into 5s, then into the mess of protruding camera and antenna lines on 6/6s/(7?).

Goodbye protruding lens. Goodbye antenna lines. Don't make an appearance unsmart-smart connector dots.
Ugly!

image.png

iPhone 4s

image.png

iPhone 5s

image.png

iPhone 6s

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
One rumour that could turn out true is that the Home button/Touch ID may no longer be clickable. You simply apply pressure to it. It's not a major change and I can see it being implemented in time for the upcoming iPhone.

Reactions: hovscorpion12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.