Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConceptVBS

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2003
Sharp/Samsung superiority depends entirely on the product.

People with Samsung screens in laptops/tablets/phones seem to be better off, but in terms of TV sized panels, my friends with new mid-high end Samsung models don't have nearly the same picture quality as my sister's two gorgeous Sharp Quattron TV's. Makes my 2010 Aquos look like garbage :p

You are comparing an older model with a newer model.

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Samsung is fine. They aren't going anywhere.

+1 - Lol at the assumption that Samsung are in trouble at all, in any single way. They are planted as the direct competitor to the biggest company in the world, I'm sure they're suffering.

Amazing, isn't it? Or is it that "retina" depends heavily on viewing distance?

Retina means HiDPI for the plebs, but you keep beating that old horse :rolleyes:

There already is a new technology for LCD; it's called LED, and I believe LED displays are in every device that has a monitor/screen that Apple sells. Why doesn't Sharp concentrate on streamlining LED production to bring the price of that down? LED is still a relatively new technology that is pricy compared to LCD.

LED is a lighting technology for LCD displays :)

Just a little observation, that Sharp logo is way less sharp than the Foxconn one.

Last edited:

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
You are comparing an older model with a newer model.
True enough, I was comparing a 2010 Sharp to a 2011 Sharp model. The 2010 models was great when I bought it (certainly looked better than the equivalent Samsung at the time), and the newer models are even better. At both times, the Sharp display models at the store held up better to my scrutiny than the Samsung ones. That's what I'm saying.

But my point remains: At the mid-high end of the spectrum I've always found Sharp to be a nicer overall TV. I don't care to test out the low end :p There is a lot of "processing" happening on the Samsung TV's that ruins the viewing experience. Play a game with a crosshair in the middle of the screen or any kind of HUD, or watch something with subtitles. The amount of crazy shenanigans happening as moving background gets within an inch of static text/pixels will make your head spin. Sharp TV's don't seem to have that problem.

Either way, Samsung is a massive corporation and while they could surely stand to make some more money, I don't think they're really worried at this point in time.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Not according to the Engadget commentors. Samsung don't give a crap about LCD, it's old tech that has no relevance anymore.

That said, what Sharp managed to do with the subpixel stuff for the new iPad screen, pretty cool!

So Samsung copied the tech from Sharp? Seeing how all screens for the new iPad have come from Samsung.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Wirelessly posted

A strategic move with Apple pulling the strings in the background. Surely Apple wants to decrease its dependance of Samsung, which is a major competitor to many of Apple's products. Probably no coincidence that Tim Cook is in China, too, at the moment.

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
So Samsung copied the tech from Sharp? Seeing how all screens for the new iPad have come from Samsung.

I thought by your avatar you may be a little more clued in than your average MR forum user, clearly that's not the case. That's a jerky thing to say...I hoped you paid a little more attention to the articles than your post suggests.

There is at least one article, which talks about the design and development of the new screen, and where the tech came from. This has been posted about...perhaps you aren't as avid of a reader of the articles as me...? (Judging by your post count, I'd say otherwise)

Samsung Display are currently the primary supplier of the new iPad screen, but they aren't the only ones, and more specifically, they aren't the creators. Sharp manufacturing hasn't yet got the gig because of their production quality.

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yeas, because Foxconn can really help Sharp improve their LCD technology, right? Foxconn is only known for labor intensive low tech assembly lines.

They seem to do some R&D stuff too.

Wirelessly posted

Not good for samsung. They need to get their act together.

This has been stated before. Apple accounts for around 5% of Samsung's revenue. Obviously we don't know what the margin is like on work done for Apple. Apple's thing is usually to negotiate based on volume. In the end, roughly 5% of revenue, perhaps a lower percentage of actual profits. It doesn't mean Apple isn't significant. It just means that even if Apple went away entirely, Samsung would be fine. You guys make them sound way more reliant on Apple than they really are.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Apple accounts for around 5% of Samsung's revenue. ... It doesn't mean Apple isn't significant. It just means that even if Apple went away entirely, Samsung would be fine.

A big conglomerate like Samsung works in divisions. The division that supplies Apple with components don't care much about the mobile division that makes phones. In fact the part of Samsung that supplies displays is a separate company, not just a division, from the Samsung electronics. For them, Apple would be a huge customer, much bigger than 5%. Ditto for LG Display.

To give you another similar scenario, HP competes against Apple, but HP's server division will have no problem selling Apple more servers for Apple's data center and those guys probably don't care much about how the PC division is doing. They would love it if Apple buys more servers from them even if it means those servers are helping Apple products compete against other HP products.

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia

How is this getting up-voted :confused:

Samsung Display are licensed to make the displays, they currently make them the best so a majority of iPads have Samsung manufactured screens, the tech is not theirs.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
A big conglomerate like Samsung works in divisions. The division that supplies Apple with components don't care much about the mobile division that makes phones. In fact the part of Samsung that supplies displays is a separate company, not just a division, from the Samsung electronics. For them, Apple would be a huge customer, much bigger than 5%. Ditto for LG Display.

To give you another similar scenario, HP competes against Apple, but HP's server division will have no problem selling Apple more servers for Apple's data center and those guys probably don't care much about how the PC division is doing. They would love it if Apple buys more servers from them even if it means those servers are helping Apple products compete against other HP products.

Okay it could be of greater significance for that division. In spite of all the lawsuits, Apple still works with them. They're probably quite effective at what they do. I'm not that big a fan of LG display, but they make everything these days :mad:. I wish hitachi and mitsubishi still made (or at least designed) display panels.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How is this getting up-voted :confused:

Samsung Display are licensed to make the displays, they currently make them the best so a majority of iPads have Samsung manufactured screens, the tech is not theirs.

Every new iPad thus far has a Samsung screen. Sharp and LG are having production problems. The info is right here on MacRumors.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
"Sharp today announced that it has entered into a strategic partnership with Foxconn/Hon Hai Precision, seeking to stabilize its own financial situation and fund investments to continue pushing LCD technology forward."

What do these 2 companies think of OLED?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Of course, there's another reason why Sharp and Foxconn are teaming up: pooling financial resources to bring long-lasting, lower-cost larger-screen AMOLED panels to market. That means within a few years future iPads will sport 2048x1536 resolution AMOLED touchscreens instead of IPS LCD touchscreens, which could mean potentially substantial savings in power consumption.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Retina display for all Mac products !

I'm quite understanding they didn't go with OLED just now - I think the technology still needs to prove itself :
- viable (no anticipated death of blue subpixels)
- and color-realistic (photo pros use the Mac a lot, it would be a PITA to sell them over-saturated OLEDs on their computers)...

Meanwhile my dream Apple TV would have a Plasma panel... Like that of the Panny VT50. I guess that's just a dream...

The blue subpixel problem has already been solved a few years ago. I could go into detail how but its pretty complicated. The over saturation part is not really part of the technology but simply the controllers used in the phones. The galaxy s2 and s are pretty over saturated but the galaxy nexus is surprisingly not. Also in a desktop display this would obviously be a much better priority.

ikiss

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
London
all the talk about LCD

I wonder if Sharp is researching this Flexible screen technology & if so.. has Apple got a hand in there anywhere ?

These new flexible almost paper thin screens that can wrap around an object or un-furl would work great in a personal viewer, HMD. (head mounted display) I know I'd grab a pair of iShades ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.