Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Enjoy your plastic phone.

n-gage_qd.JPG

Back in the day, I had one of these. Plastic? Yes? But it took far more abuse than any iPhone could, and just kept on truckin ;) When you dropped it was almost like bouncing a ball, it just didn't care. Got wet all the time, and lived in my pocket with keys, loose change, and a pocket knife, not a mark on it.

Dropped my 4S....once....shatter....

Whatever happened to durability being a GOOD thing?

Last edited:

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Steve Jobs phoned HP when he was 13, asking to have the chance to work at HP during summer time. That was his beginning in the industry
BUT, if that happens in China, then we are exploting them...

There's a huge difference between the two and don't pretend that's not true.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010

Back in the day, I had one of these. Plastic? Yes? But it took far more abuse than any iPhone could, and just kept on truckin ;) Dropped my 4S....once....shatter....

IMHO the best phone in terms of endurance that *I* have ever owned was a Motorola StarTac.

I was cleaning out some junk in my house and found that phone after many many years.Just for the heck of it, I threw it on the floor hard like a ball and it bounced back like nothing happened. And it worked too !

I guess today it has to be the Casio G-shock phones. But they are not smartphones but a great phone if you are a lot into outdoors sports etc..

Or get one of those military grade case/cover for your iphone as well :)

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
IMHO the best phone in terms of endurance that *I* have ever owned was a Motorola StarTac.

I was cleaning out some junk in my house and found that phone after many many years.Just for the heck of it, I threw it on the floor hard like a ball and it bounced back like nothing happened. And it worked too !

I guess today it has to be the Casio G-shock phones. But they are not smartphones but a great phone if you are a lot into outdoors sports etc..

Or get one of those military grade case/cover for your iphone as well :)

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/2...-runs-android-and-can-survive-a-10-foot-drop/

Oh my! I donj't think even an iPhone cover can do that!

Lets hope this thing actually makes it into production.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
People live in a city next to their factory of employment, work long hours for little pay that affords them a sub-quality standard of living. As I glance at my iPhone 5, I can't help but feel partly responsible. We have lived well before such mobile computing, is it truly necessary to keep up with the Joneses at the cost of such untoward consequences? Playing devils advocate by stating "it could be worse" irks me. How do we know? It's statements such as that which seem to acquiesce our own conscience for our parts in this mess.

I'm sure I'll get stoned with last years 4S's.

By who's definition? Everything I've read and seen indicates that while it may appear to be low pay and sub-quality living standards by first world views, for them it's living comfortably.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
People live in a city next to their factory of employment, work long hours for little pay that affords them a sub-quality standard of living. As I glance at my iPhone 5, I can't help but feel partly responsible. We have lived well before such mobile computing, is it truly necessary to keep up with the Joneses at the cost of such untoward consequences? Playing devils advocate by stating "it could be worse" irks me. How do we know? It's statements such as that which seem to acquiesce our own conscience for our parts in this mess.

For some of those folks the alternative is a rice paddy. There are hungry and homeless people here in the US who would gladly take one of those jobs.

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
For some of those folks the alternative is a rice paddy. There are hungry and homeless people here in the US who would gladly take one of those jobs.

no they wouldnt, they would like to keep those gov. checks coming.....

why look for work when the gov takes care of you at tax payer expense.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Again, that's a huge assumption. How do you know? We don't. This is an excuse to make ourselves feel better, it's justification.

By who's definition? Everything I've read and seen indicates that while it may appear to be low pay and sub-quality living standards by first world views, for them it's living comfortably.

See above.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
What concerns me with the statement made by the FOxconn employee is that the iphones manufactured earlier in the process may be inferior to those being built now and in the future.

I do not have applecare. However, I'm starting to notice some issues with my iPhone that will peak on the 365th day of ownership.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Steve Jobs phoned HP when he was 13, asking to have the chance to work at HP during summer time. That was his beginning in the industry

He wanted to build frequency counters, and that's where they put him, for a couple of weeks during the holidays, huh?

---
Foxconn tells Apple that they can build an iPhone for $8. They're the only company who has the capacity to do it. They just have to say "Sorry, $15, pal.", pay their workers more and the problem is solved. It's not like there's any real competition, and they just don't give a damn about their employees. It's slavery, and Apple already has trouble shipping iPhones. To ship the fruits of slavery or to not ship at all, that's the question. And I think everybody agrees that it has to ship, for our iPhone 4s and 4S are so unbearably heavy, thick and slow. :rolleyes:

Apple - Y U NO ship iPhone 5 DIY kit?

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
no they wouldnt, they would like to keep those gov. checks coming.....

why look for work when the gov takes care of you at tax payer expense.

Are you suggesting that workers in USA should work for $10 a day pay? That would surely boost the economy (Romney's way). It would not last long though because people would start dying of starvation very soon. Why do you hate your countrymen so much? When in 2008 the economy collapsed and millions of people lost their jobs, according to your interpretation of the events millions of people all of a sudden decided that they had worked enough and would be better off by collecting gov. checks, right? Those lazy bastards.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Again, that's a huge assumption. How do you know? We don't. This is an excuse to make ourselves feel better, it's justification.

Obviously you've never been to China or volunteered to help in a homeless shelter. Your snarky responses may make you feel big, but speak volumes about your character.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Yeah that's not at all accurate. The iPhone's precision and size doesn't allow for automated assembly. If they could make them with machines they would. Apple would be much happier not worrying about labor standards, strikes, and the bad press it gets from its human assembly force.

That's ridiculous, its all about cost. Most any production line can be automated, how do you think the intricate sub-assemblies going into the phones are made as they are too precise for hand assembly. In china people are much cheaper than machines. The cost of tooling for automated production is extremely high so Chinese factories are still making everything using mostly manual processes. In Japan where labour is far more expensive they make a lot of delicate electronics using mainly automated processes because there is a cost benefit of doing it that way. At the moment its just cheaper to use mass labour in China, simple as that. In the USA it would be far more attractive to invest in automated assembly given the high volumes involved, that was my point.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Steve jobs asked to work on hp's chinese assembly line?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
If factories in the USA made these things production would be highly automated, the only reason they use mostly manual processes in China is because labour is dirt cheap.

Not really, automation isn't cheap. And the expertise to build and automate the production process isn't a skill that is abundant in the US.

I also think that the addition cost to build in the US would increase the cost of the phone since apple isn't going to dig into there profits just to have the phones assembled in the US.

----------

Our productivity has been improving day by day.”
I am glad didnt purchased iPhone5 ! So they learning and first shipment will be not so good. Last week I purchased iphone 4S unlocked insted of iPhone5 and I am happy with it.:)

You would be happier with a iPhone 5 :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
He wanted to build frequency counters, and that's where they put him, for a couple of weeks during the holidays, huh?

---
Foxconn tells Apple that they can build an iPhone for $8. They're the only company who has the capacity to do it. They just have to say "Sorry, $15, pal.", pay their workers more and the problem is solved. It's not like there's any real competition, and they just don't give a damn about their employees. It's slavery, and Apple already has trouble shipping iPhones. To ship the fruits of slavery or to not ship at all, that's the question. And I think everybody agrees that it has to ship, for our iPhone 4s and 4S are so unbearably heavy, thick and slow. :rolleyes:

Apple - Y U NO ship iPhone 5 DIY kit?
Saying this means you don't actually know what slavery is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.