Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
What baloney.

I want a modern iPhone 4 sized device because I have no desire to cram one of these massive phones into my pants pocket.
(Some of us have rather filled pants already).

I remmende this forum going bonkers ober the fact that a competing brand was bringing out larger screen size phones and that they would NEVER want a large iPhone, because glorious Steve said 4" was big enough. And they rest of the world was stupid, and that they never wanted a bigger iPhone because it was stupid and Steve said so.

And here we have. And I bet a larger screen size will be seen as innovative :p.

I really doubt that. First off most of Apples recent advance innovation has had nothing to do with the screen. As such I expect Apple to continue to innovate inside the box so to speak.

Tough Guy

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
If Apple tried to hire a 100,000 people, at any wage, unaccustomed to a hard days work, following coherent directions or any kind of a work ethic, there would be no profits at all. I am thinking a situation like Detroit Big 3 would ensue... Large undisciplined labor force with high wages, producing poor quality products that manage to kill their owners...

And the offshoring apologists have arrived.

Boy, I'd certainly hate to have my iPhone kill me one day. Almost as bad as watching an entire country's economy slowly crumble day by day as it sinks into more and more debt.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Oh, and if you're going to play fanboy cop, at least get it right- Steve thought 3.5" was the perfect size.

Talk about getting it right, you have no idea what Steve thought the perfect size was. Steve Jobs was a master of marketing what he had to sell. Every comment he made in public was about marketing of an Apple product, the company or an idea. As such you have no idea at all what Steve thiugh about any individual product. I'm not sure why people have such a problem grasping this, marketing is not the expression of personal opinion.

----------

And the offshoring apologists have arrived.

Boy, I'd certainly hate to have my iPhone kill me one day. Almost as bad as watching an entire country's economy slowly crumble day by day as it sinks into more and more debt.

And why do we have all of this new debt? The fundamental problem in America is excessive spending on social programs that lead to problem like we see in Detroit.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Sadly I don't think the 4.7" iPhone 6 will be as easy to handle with one hand as my Moto X is. Not that I'm looking to upgrade, but after using the Moto X it really is the perfect size for people with small to average sized hands.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Wow. Suddenly hiring 100,000 people - SKILLED and RELIABLE people, suddenly, to build one thing, is impressive to say the least. I can't even imagine how that could ever happen in the US. I can't even imagine 10,000 in the US. I can't even begin to speculate how different things are over there for the conditions to allow such a thing. Maybe people who have been there can understand. I cannot understand.

Billions of people!

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
In December 2013, Foxconn announced plans to invest $30 million over two years to build a manufacturing facility in Pennsylvania, as well as putting $10 million into R&D at Carnegie Mellon University. The new facility will be located in Harrisburg and will develop robotic equipment.

The largest factory worldwide is in Longhua, Shenzhen, where hundreds of thousands of workers (varying counts from 230,000 to 450,000) are employed at the Longhua Science & Technology Park, a walled campus. How many workers will be employed at the Pennsylvania factory?

Foxconn has 13 factories in China and others worldwide, and they manufacture for many electronics companies.

What's up with the comments about long fingernails? Is that important to you? MANY women have long fingernails. Flinch? Every time?

My only question about the workers being hired is what is involved in the training for that assembly work? It would seem the same workers would be used since they already know something about the process.

----------

What baloney.

I want a modern iPhone 4 sized device because I have no desire to cram one of these massive phones into my pants pocket.
(Some of us have rather filled pants already).

I really doubt that. First off most of Apples recent advance innovation has had nothing to do with the screen. As such I expect Apple to continue to innovate inside the box so to speak.

Not all of us who use smart phones are near-sighted. I want a larger phone. My current Android phone is 4.3 inches diagonally, and a larger phone would make reading easier, especially when using the internet.

My fingers are not tiny, and I would like to be able to see larger buttons for typing and making selections.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
The fact that you could not care whether your great grandchildren might be poor saps...

You mistook my "poor saps" phrase as condescending. My point was that they are being taken advantage of, through no fault of their own. No superiority trip here.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Talk about getting it right, you have no idea what Steve thought the perfect size was. Steve Jobs was a master of marketing what he had to sell. Every comment he made in public was about marketing of an Apple product, the company or an idea. As such you have no idea at all what Steve thiugh about any individual product. I'm not sure why people have such a problem grasping this, marketing is not the expression of personal opinion.

----------

And why do we have all of this new debt? The fundamental problem in America is excessive spending on social programs that lead to problem like we see in Detroit.

You do NOT need to politicize here.

But that OP didn't say what you attributed to him. What he posted was inane and full of errors, both factual as well as grammatical (to the point of being unintelligible).

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
You best stop before you spout much more disinformation.

Oh, I forgot. We're talking about China. Strong unions and human rights are the hallmarks of this great (communist) country. They would never opt for cheap human labor, at least not without an organ harvest clause.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Yikes!

And 100-1 those are some guy's nails. For some reason, all men who take pictures with Apple products have very long nails. Don't know why.

Please tell me those are not a guy's nails. Yuk :eek:

It reminds me of that classic Seinfeld episode with the "Man Hands." :D

----------

There was a recent market study showing that the great majority of the iPhone owners suffer something the study called, more or less, "hidden size envy" - the feeling that what they have is too small and the lack of courage to admit it. The study thinks a bigger iPhone would sell incredibly well to that crowd.

Where's the study? Yeah, right! :p

Moving right along.....

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
What is this weird inconsistency in the first picture. It looks like a single jean leg that goes nowhere? I thought it was a chair, however you can look through the display and see the concrete flooring. Also, next to the guys fingers grasping the back of the display, there is what looks like a woman's arm and part of her purple top visible through the display - but there is no head or the rest of her body at that angle.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 70

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
What is this weird inconsistency in the first picture. It looks like a single jean leg that goes nowhere? I thought it was a chair, however you can look through the display and see the concrete flooring. Also, next to the guys fingers grasping the back of the display, there is what looks like a woman's arm and part of her purple top visible through the display - but there is no head or the rest of her body at that angle.

I can very easily see a head.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I flinch a little every time I see that huge bezel at the top. I mean sure the bottom part is necessary to accommodate touch ID, but why keep that huge area at the top? just for symmetry? :confused:

Probably also for volume inside of the case for components. You do realize that by shortening the bezels, you end up with less volume internally for components. Well, given how thin it is, and also how NARROW the width of the device is, I'm sure the inside will be "packed to the gills" with a larger battery and other new components.

Besides, do you really want an iPhone that isn't symmetrical? That's one of the signature characteristics of the iPhone design. Turn the phone in landscape to play a game/watch a video, and tell me you don't appreciate the symmetry. The bezels do look in fact shorter compared to the current iPhones, so quit acting like they're huge. We haven't even seen the damn thing anyway, so none of us know how big they will be.

neeks

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014

The head is in bottom left corner. Clearly someone bending over.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
If this really is the image of the next iPhone, then I really think Apple has "lost it" in terms of Jonny designs. Porting over that big home button and the bezels along with the iOS changes shows a severe decline in Apples management and design.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Lol at that. I would be more than happy to pay slightly more for an American made iPhone. ...

YOU might pay more but soon the US will not be the biggest market of iPhones.

I've read it takes 20 labor hours to build a phone. Assume a factory worker in TX is willing to work for $15 per hours and overhead (Social Security, taxes, healthcare, vacation and sick leave and so n) double that to $30 per hour. But there is a $2/he saving be not going to China so the net gain is $28/hr So the net gain is $560 per iPhone.

But if the phones WERE made in the US they would be assembled using a lot more automation and robots could this cut the required number of hours in half? If so then the added cost is only $280 per phone.

But the real problem is that there are MORE people who live outside the US than inside and Apple wants to del the phone world wide. People in Chines are not going to pay a $280 premium for a US made phone. The growth market for phones is OUTSIDE the US.

The other problem about making them in the US. Where would you find even 20,000 people who would want to work in an iPhone factory? It's a low skill, low pay job that is very repetitive with very little chance for advancement. I feel we a lucky to NOT have these jobs in the US.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
That's a lot of workers. Are they maybe ramping up to make iWatches instead?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
this is what i say everyone someone says "too bad it's not made in USA". the workforce doesn't exist here. the unemployed are either casualties of the recession who had desk jobs that it turned out were completely worthless, or they are just so unskilled or unreliable to hold down any kind of job. or unwilling to do the work that is out there. it would be a complete nightmare to try to hire people to build iphones in the U.S. in China they will line up to do it and do a good job at it

Exactly I'd be surprised if 100,000 Americans were willing to work around the clock day and night making iphones for a living. The geographic nature would basically be an Apple city.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
100,00 new hires.....yikesz!!

Look for more "nets" on the dorms and QC issues up the wazooo for the first production runs of iPhone 6 :)

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
If this is the real iphone 6, and history teach us that leaks are usually accurate,
It is by far the ugliest, and non innovative ever.
How can apple still keep this huge ugly bezels all over? It make the phone much taller than it needs to be.
I wonder what Johnny team was working so hard on?
It is iphone 5 but magnified all over again.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
100,000 more employees sounds excessive, even for China standards. It's funny, we are all worried that robots will someday take all of our jobs. In China, it's actually cheaper to use human labor to do such things as put the final pieces of the phone together/packaging/etc. The cost of keeping that many robots online is much more than paying these poor saps a very minimum wage. To keep this post apolitical, I'll stop here.

For now it is...

----------

Exactly I'd be surprised if 100,000 Americans were willing to work around the clock day and night making iphones for a living. The geographic nature would basically be an Apple city.

Those working conditions are sort of illegal in most countries.

----------

----------

The US spends almost nothing on "social programs" Case in point maybe you noticed every other first world country has healthcare for their citizens, the US does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.