Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
The thrill of waiting for a new iPhone for its features is now gone, imho. First off, it's all leaks and rumors. Secondly, the upgrades are incremental. Not to sound negative about Apple or iPhone though. They're good. But the excitement factor is kind of gone.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Excuse me, but you must have missed that iPhone sales have been growing and growing and growing. And clearly Foxconn has received a huge order or they wouldn't be hiring. But sure, you must be right, Apple sales will drop because Foxconn hires more people to build products for Apple. Perfect logic.
I didn't say Apple Sales will drop, perhaps you're paranoid.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Should read hiring 100,000 slaves. Employees has certain rights, the slaves that build for apple in countries other than the US get pathetic pay, very few breaks and work there butts off. Most of them cannot afford an iphone.

MacGuffin

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
Give me your tired, your poor.

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Give them to me, and hurry up about it, so I can chain them up at Foxconn making gizmos for bored narcissistic westerners to Tweet their latest selfie to each other!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Give me your tired, your poor.

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Give them to me, and hurry up about it, so I can chain them up at Foxconn making gizmos for bored narcissistic westerners to Tweet their latest selfie to each other!

That about sums it up too. :D

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Although working conditions at Foxconn may not be ideal for many, it is better than garment factories in Bangladesh and it represents a necessary stage in economic advancement of countries.
America went through it, Europe went through it and china is going through it.

Getafe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Apple is not paying for the labor, Foxconn is. Your blaming of Apple is incorrect.

This is China, and things are different. There are millions of people living in poor villages making a meagre living from farming. The adventurous people go to the big towns and find jobs, if they are lucky at a well paying place like Foxconn. Then they work, doing as much overtime as they can, spend as little money as they can, and return home as a rich person (rich compared to the other people in their poor village). They most definitely don't go "back out on the street" because they never lived "in the street".

That's why workers at Foxconn live in dorms - it's not because they can't afford living in a decent home, it is because (a) there are no decent homes for 100,000 new employees there, and (b) these 100,000 employees don't intend to stay there, they intend to return home with as much savings as possible.

Salaries in China are lower than in the USA. Cost of living in China is also a lot lower than in the USA. Lower salaries mean that school teachers make less, so putting children into schools is cheaper. Hairdressers make less money, so getting a haircut costs a lot less, and so on and so on. Everything is a lot cheaper. And Foxconn has been raising salaries massively in the last years; someone working at Foxconn may get less money than minimum wage in the USA, but can either afford a massively better life style, or save tons of money while they work at Foxconn.

By the way, you are wrong. China has minimum wages, so your whole blustering falls apart at that point. The USA on the other hand apparently don't teach kids at school how to use a search engine.

Sorry for the hella slow reply.

But yeah you are very true, both comments. I will hold my hands up and admit my mistake. Thanks for filling in the information though. I find it most interesting :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.