Foxconn Hiring Workers for iPhone 5S Production

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Both The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg are reporting that Foxconn has begun hiring new workers in support of iPhone 5S production. The articles follow a separate report from The Wall Street Journal earlier this month claiming that production on the new iPhone would begin this quarter ahead of a potential summer launch.

From today's Wall Street Journal report:
    [​IMG]
    iPhone being prepared for final assembly (Source: Apple)
    Bloomberg's source offered similar information on Foxconn's hiring push:
    Apple has been rumored to be planning to introduce its next-generation iPhone as soon as the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, which has itself been rumored for its usual June timeframe.

Other reports have, however, been pushing their predictions of the iPhone 5S launch later in 2013, with relatively reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo just last week having predicted that work on a fingerprint sensor would result in the iPhone 5S launching later than many observers have expected. Kuo declined to offer a specific target date for the iPhone 5S launch, but outlined three possible scenarios involving a launch taking place between September and November.

Article Link: Foxconn Hiring Workers for iPhone 5S Production

2. macrumors regular

Does the iPhone in that picture that is being prepared for final assembly have a protective coating? Or is this Apple leaking a picture of a yellow iPhone 5S...

3. macrumors 68040

tigres

As per all other rumors posted as of late, one would be inclined to think production has been cut.

This seems to contradict that.

4. macrumors 6502a

So start around early May and produce about 50k units a day or more should project to a june launch in US?

5. macrumors regular

The iPhone 5 is already so fast, never notice any lag. Looking forward to an even faster iPhone though!

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Well, lets see some parts.

From what has been 'released' so far it looks like the same phone with some minor updates.

Guess the magical changes will be in i0S 7

8. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Definitely not protective coating. If it is, why do we see so many new iPhone 5's scratched out of the box?

Nah probably protective coating.

9. macrumors P6

Peace

The actual phone is sitting in a protective case. Or mold if you will.

That picture comes from an article that is almost a year old.

10. macrumors member

DoctorWho

11. macrumors 68030

Last quarter Apple sold an average of 500,000 iPhones... every day.

But it was reported that it takes a total of 24 hours to make one iPhone.

So how many workers does Foxconn need to manufacture at that pace?

No wonder Foxconn is on a hiring spree...

12. macrumors 603

justperry

Don't think so, if you magnify the picture you can see holes in the bottom, now why should there be holes in a protective casing.
    And, how thick is the casing, 0.1 mm, you just can't see a casing around it.

Attached Files:

13. macrumors regular

I would like 5S to carry a 2,000 mAh battery instead of a 2 GHz CPU.

How many are being power users of iPhone anyway?

14. macrumors 65816

I wonder what this will mean for iOS 7. I think Apple would be a fool not to launch the iPhone 5S with iOS 7. If the gap between the iPhone 5S and WWDC will only be a few weeks, this means could mean three things:

1. Apple maintains the usual beta period and will not ship the 5S with iOS 7.
    2. Apple shortens the beta period and ships the 5S with iOS 7.
    3. Apple will announce iOS 7 prior to the WWDC.

My bet is on the third, since there are pretty strong rumors there will be an iPad event this month or in May. In 2010, they used the iPad event to introduce iOS 4, I think they'll return to that pattern. New OS in April/May, new Phone at WWDC. :)

15. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Based on the speed I was able to swap out my friends 4S display - roughly two days - I'm thinking I'd be an outstanding hire :D

16. macrumors G5

Rogifan

But I thought we just heard Foxconn was laying people off and sales were down due to weak iPhone demand. Now they're on a hiring spree because of the iPhone?

17. macrumors 68040

D.T.

It just looks like protective tape you see on all sort of electronics during manufacturing/assembly [?]

18. macrumors regular

There won't be any iPad event in April, we haven't seen any parts leak out yet.:D

19. macrumors 601

20. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

If you look closely you can see it has a hole for a 30 pin connector so it either a 4 or 4S.

21. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

5S in september ey... It will never launch in wwdc then.

22. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

So far I'm still thinking I'll be holding onto my 4S until next year...the rumors really haven't been suggesting that this is going to be an interesting device.

Unless they're backwards when they say "fingerprint sensor"... What if its not the device sensing your fingerprint, but your finger sensing the device, IE, tactile feedback. I'd be all over it if they added that in.

23. macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

protective tape.

24. macrumors G5

gnasher729

At Foxconn.

25. macrumors 65816