Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113027-foxconn_workers.jpg

CENS reports that Apple's iPhone manufacturing partner Hon Hai (parent company of Foxconn) has won a share of the production contract for the CDMA version of the iPhone 4, rumored for release early next year.
The sources noted that Apple's order for the CDMA iPhone 4 has been shared evenly between Hon Hai and its Taiwanese peer Pegatron Corp., with Hon Hai's shipment of the device projected at 15 million units for 2011. Apple will launch the phone in early 2011 in cooperation with a couple of telecom companies as Verizon and China Telecom, in a bid to further boost its smartphone market share through exploring the CDMA segment.
A number of reports had indicated as long ago as February that Pegatron would be solely responsible for the CDMA iPhone 4, with Foxconn retaining the contract for the GSM version available today.

Article Link: Foxconn Joining Pegatron for CDMA iPhone Production?

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
I can just foresee, if there are faulty CDMA units, a massive discussion over which of the two companies are the "better" manufacturer with less defects - Foxconn vs. Pegatron. I only bring this up, as I recall heated discussions in the past about how Nokias made in Finland were superior to the ones made in China or how Canada made Blackberries were better than the Mexico made ones. It'll turn into: "Get the model with serials.. XXXXXX made by Foxconn, over the ones with XXXXX from Pegatron" or vice versa.

ggg05a

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
CDMA iPhone is going to be fantastic! I would assume that Apple requires both companies to produce an identical product, or a product within certain specifications. I would ALSO imagine that since Foxconn and Pegatron are competitors, there will be a little competition with one another as to whom can make the 'best' CDMA iPhone.

Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.