Foxconn Says Current Hiring Freeze Due to Strong Returning Workforce, Not Waning iPhone 5 Demand

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Financial Times reported earlier today that Foxconn has enacted a hiring freeze at most of its Chinese facilities due to reduced demand for the iPhone 5.
    Recruiters specifically pointed to hiring freezes at Foxconn's massive facilities in Shenzhen, Zhengzhou, Taiyuan, and Chengdu, all of which focus on assembly of iPhones and iPads.

An expectation of hiring picking up again in late March would be in line with rumors of Apple beginning to ramp up production of the iPhone 5S, but a Foxconn spokesman told Bloomberg that the current hiring freeze actually has nothing to do with waning demand for Apple products.
    The Chinese New Year festivities last for several weeks, with many factories running at greatly reduced capacity as workers return to their homes. The offical two-week festivities conclude with the annual Lantern Festival, which takes place this Sunday, February 24.

Article Link: Foxconn Says Current Hiring Freeze Due to Strong Returning Workforce, Not Waning iPhone 5 Demand

2. macrumors 6502a

phillipduran

I'm sure it's a comfy job there now (compared to other jobs in the region) now that the worlds eyes are focused on the plants.

3. macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Reach for those negative Apple/iPhone stories lol

4. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

and YET - CNBC still reports it as due to the iPhone 5 sales. I swear to god CNBC has been so anti-apple since it hit 700, it's not even funny. It's like there's a force driving bad news to bring down the stock price.

(Practical reason? SOMEONE [maybe even apple itself!] is going to place a HUGE order at a low amount.)

5. macrumors 6502

street.cory

I'm curious to see if lower demand of the iPhone 6 months after release date will lead Apple to a quicker product release cycle.

6. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Analysts, the worst thing to happen to online journalism.

7. macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

Foxconn probably forced that factory worker to pose with the smile on her face, or she'd lose her job. lol

8. macrumors 68000

iGrip

It only makes sense!

I believe Foxconn!

The hiring freeze has nothing to do with reduced demand for the iPhone 5. That would be way too hard to accept. So I will believe Foxconn.

9. macrumors regular

Shut up, shorts

Must be a lot of shorts at the Financial Times.

10. macrumors 6502

TimUSCA

Maybe the CEO just really wants an iPhone 6, so he's manipulating things to speed up Apple's product cycle.

11. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Because the Financial Times is more reliable? :confused:

If there was any truth to the FT story Foxconn would most likely have said "we don't comment on blah blab blah".

12. macrumors 68020

applesith

Where's the apple slamming? Shouldn't it be reported that apple forces workers to come back from vacation?

13. macrumors 6502

lamerica80

The girl in the picture is happy because its her 12th birthday.

14. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yea low demand never leads to hiring freezes :rolleyes:

yuppers..just returning workers yup..

15. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Where's the evidence of low demand?

16. macrumors 6502

She's cute.

17. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Where is the evidence it's returning workers especially in light of:

"Human resources officials at Foxconn's largest factories, local government officials and external recruiters working with the company said there had been internal notices on Tuesday and Wednesday to halt hiring until at least the end of March, in response to reduced orders for the iPhone 5"

but please keep believing that iOS is magical and everyone is clamoring to get one. Please believe people that have vested interest in FOXCONN as a company and Apple as a company..

18. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Hi cuteeee, Please don't scratch my iPhone.....

19. macrumors G5

Rogifan

When did I say anything about iOS? :confused: Foxconn has DENIED this has anything to do with iPhone 5. Why should we believe FT over Foxconn? Especially when media FUD around Apple is quite typical?

20. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

What, does no one remember iPhone Girl?

21. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

"Human resources officials at Foxconn's largest factories, local government officials and external recruiters working with the company said there had been internal notices on Tuesday and Wednesday to halt hiring until at least the end of March, in response to reduced orders for the iPhone 5"

The PR mouth at Foxconn that works for the president of the company (most likley) who has a vested interest in said company denies..

Last I check the iPhone was an iOS device

22. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

That is not a direct quote from Foxconn and we have no idea how much editorializing is in that paragraph.

23. macrumors 6502a

This is the important part. That's probably the extent of factual information they received, the rest could be speculation on the sources or the Financial Times part. No way to know for sure.

24. JAT
    macrumors 603

Of course. I'm sure a guy from (assuming) Germany, and CNN shills, know more about Foxconn employees than Foxconn brass. That's patently obvious.

25. macrumors G5

Rogifan

So we're supposed to believe unnamed sources in an FT piece over an official Foxconn spokesperson? Why is the automatic assumption to always assume FUD about Apple is reality?