fps bechmark for halo?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mord, May 25, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'd like to find out the frame rate i am getting in halo is but have no idea how to is the an app or a command?

(running on a dual 450Mhz cube OCed to 500MHz with a radeon 7500 and 1.5 gigs of ram)

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

yes very well i would guess at around 25-30fps i play online quite a bit

4. applekid macrumors 68020

Press the ~ key. (Top left corner, under the esc key)

Type in "rasterizer_fps on" without quotes.

That'll give you the FPS you're getting in game.

5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

thanks

its brilliant my cube runs halo better than my freinds amd with his crappy 5200 card :rolleyes:

6. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I have a Gigabit G4 that had a Dual 450 with a Radeon 8500 and it ran Halo well enough to play. I wouldn't call it super snappy, but playable. Getting a GigaDesigns Dual 1.3 upgrade changed that to very nice. :)

7. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Interestingly, this doesn't do anything for me when I try it. I get a 'TRUE' response just above the console line, in white text, and then no change in the UI. Are you doing it under a version before 1.05?

8. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Before the game starts use the "run time demo" checkbox. It will run a test and give you your average framerate, percentages, etc. The results will be inside the Halo folder as Timedemo.txt. It has a Halo icon, but you can right click and select "open with" then use TextEdit to read your findings.

(If you checked the "don't show this screen on startup" checkbox in Halo, you have to use a key to bring it back while you open the game. I's shift, or option, or command, or something- sorry I don't remember and my CD is not here.)

This is the most universal way to test Halo.

9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

No offense, but I find it highly unlikely you're getting performance like that, considering my 1.4GHz G4 can barely push 30fps with all options turned down running at 800x600. The game is nearly unplayable.

10. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

25-30 might be a little high, but I'm not too surprised it's playable. On my tower, 733 QS without any l3 cache, my geForce 4 TI brings performance up to about 25 fps on the time demo.

When I first ran it, I got about 12 fps, everything turned down. Then, I found that changing the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x786 (it doesn't matter which!?!) bumped the speed over 20. Then, experimenting I found turning graphics features on and found none of them gave me a performance hit and the pixel shaders actually made things faster.

Just goes to show, I guess, that my CPU is fast enough to unload everything the the video card. It boggles the mind that setting resolution to 640x480 made it half the speed-at first I thought it was a native resolution issue but it didn't matter if it was in 800x600.

11. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

It's actually the Vertex shaders that help performance. If you turn on Pixel shaders on a machine that's not too powerful you'll see a huge hit. I've found this after running some 23 time demos combined on both my G4 and AlBook.

My tower (see specs below) goes from 36fps with Vertex shaders to 23fps with Vertex and Pixel shaders.

12. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

You're right, I was mixing them up in my head. I don't actually get any options for pixel shaders on my machine, just "Vertex Shaders Only" and "nVidea NV + Vertex Shaders." Vertex only makes it faster, with the NV Shaders as well, it's slower but still faster than the "No Shaders." Also the tooltip on it says that more complex options generally offer worse performance for better graphics.

It seems odd to me because usually you expect default settings to be chosen for one of two reasons: they make things look better or they make them perform better.

Note that this is all with vers 1.3. I haven't bothered to update since then because I haven't been playing much, my net connecting is too terrible.

13. shortyjj macrumors regular

Halo demo

Anybody know if this is still coming out? I saw something a while ago that said it was expected within a week...

14. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Ran the time demo on my friends 1.5GHz powerbook.. With everything on full (max screen res etc), apart from pixel shaders.. He got an average of 37fps. And this is without updating Halo, will try that next time.

Very impressive.

15. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Honestly the last two revisions have only slowed things down. The very last one was cool because it added shadows and reflections when pixel shaders are activated, but at a big expense in FPS.

16. applekid macrumors 68020

You know, I just noticed that, too. I'm baffled.

17. Rolerboy macrumors newbie

no fps

I get a program shut down when I run the time demo, and every time I try the rasterizer_fps on, or rasterizer_fps 1 it says true.

I am not having problems playing the game, or multiplayer, I just would like to know what my fps is.

help!
    any tips?

DP 867 1.75 GB RAM Ti4 128MB video ram

18. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Run all OS updates and Halo Updates. Then repair permissions. Thats all I can think off.

The rasterizer_fps has never worked for me either.

19. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

it vary's mac to mac I have a very fast HD what card are you useing is that an upgraded tower or a duali wouldent be suprised if you are useing a geforce 2 or a are rage card they are pathetic

20. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

sorry i just noticed your sig it's to do with your geforce 2.

i cant get the console to come up i am pressing the ~ key but it dosent work it works in all my quake3 based games and UT based games but not halo is there an option to enable it or somthing?

21. applekid macrumors 68020

At the startup window, there is a small box where you need click to Enable Console.

22. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

23. applekid macrumors 68020

It was there when you first started Halo. You know, the window with picking Antialiasing, setting polygon counts, and the pixel shaders/ vertex shaders stuff.

Anyways, I'm sure it's in the read me somewhere... But I think you have to hold down either the option, shift, command, or control key while opening Halo. I'd give you a more direct answer, but I'm a bit busy :) Sorry.

24. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

The "Allow console" box is always there, just trying to get the game to show FPS doesn't work in the game.