Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
Ok,
I own a Powermac G5. I use FTP, AFP, intensely.
My server is set to a static ip, etc.
But guide to set-up a public website or anything via DNS all require a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) Does that mean that i have to buy a domain name (www.actingbiz1's-server.com) and then some-how set it up?
Or can i access all via ip address?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You should be able to substitute an IP address for a FQDN (after all, that's what DNS does - translating FQDNs to IP addresses).

That said, if you have a router I recommend only forwarding essential ports to the server (typically 80, 443 also if you use SSL).

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
I have all the ports open to the server.
And I currently have the server firewall active.
So in all the guides where it says " now change this to mybusiness.com" it mean " now change this to 71.11.111.111"?

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
Now, what if my house suffers a power outtage while I am away. I have noticed that once my router reconnects to the ISP service servers, it obtains a new public ip address.
How can I maintain a constant connection in the event of this ip change?

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I have all the ports open to the server.
And I currently have the server firewall active.
So in all the guides where it says " now change this to mybusiness.com" it mean " now change this to 71.11.111.111"?

You'll need to use a dynamic dns service that updates whenever your isp gives u a new ip.

one such service which i use myself is http://www.dyndns.com. They have free and paid for options depending on how pretty an address you want.

In order for the the dns service to know the ip is changed you either need a router that has a built-in dyndns client or you can download one for macos and it'll periodically connect to the dns service and advise it what ip you are running on. I have one such router, for the software versions i'd just google it.

M.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Now, what if my house suffers a power outtage while I am away. I have noticed that once my router reconnects to the ISP service servers, it obtains a new public ip address.
How can I maintain a constant connection in the event of this ip change?
There are several Dynamic DNS services you can use for exactly this situation. They work by installing a small client program on your Mac which tells the service you're using what its public IP address is. You then get a URL to connect to your server - it'll be something like http://yournamehere.dyndns.org/ (replace dyndns.org with the name of the dynamic DNS service you're using). Use this URL, and even if your public IP address changes, the Dynamic DNS will pick it up and reroute you automatically.

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
Ok, I have verizon fios ACTIONTEC router.
I believe it has some DynDNS config preferences.
So all I need is to sign up to DynDNS for example. Then it installs a client side program on the mac then add in the DNS info on the router.
Then DynDNS gives me a URL that is a static connection.
How would FTP work, is it
ftp://givenurl.dyndns.org/

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Ok, I have verizon fios ACTIONTEC router.
I believe it has some DynDNS config preferences.
So all I need is to sign up to DynDNS for example. Then it installs a client side program on the mac then add in the DNS info on the router.
Then DynDNS gives me a URL that is a static connection.
How would FTP work, is it
ftp://givenurl.dyndns.org/
Actually, if your router has a built-in DynDNS client, you don't need the one for your Mac. And yes, FTP works just like HTTP or any other protocol, assuming the necessary ports are forwarded to the server (which they should be, in your case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.