Frack!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Feb 28, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

We have something living in our attic/walls.

Sunday night while watching Six Feet Under and enjoying a fire, there was this scratching and rustling that moved up the wall by the fireplace.

Last night it was in the ceiling in our bedroom (at 3 a.m.). Right now the freaking thing sounds like it's trying to chew through the wall.

Squirrel? Rat? Opossum?

This should be an interesting call to management after my recent run in. :eek:

Should I ask them if it is at all possible to get someone out today? (Because it is driving me effing nuts trying to work with Rocky Racoon™ trying to chew his way through the wall.)

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

After all the hurricanes we had down here, a few months back we had a rat dwelling in our attic... come 2-3am, you'd hear the pitter patter of it running and scratching.. and with the echo of the footsteps, it sounded more like a bear than a rat!

I would definately call someone out immediately, if not sooner.. you don't want it chewing through your wires and walls.. that'll just give you more of a headache!

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, this sounds BIG, but it can't be if it is in the walls.

Highly irritating/creepy.

4. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

You'd better take care of the problem quickly. God forbid it dies in the wall.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I wonder how they would get it?

I guess they could open up the attic acess and lay a trap?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Could be a Dingo carrying a baby - they're pretty common down these parts.

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

No idea. I can say that when our gerbils escaped through the subwoofer opening into our huge wooden speakers, we had to drill a hole 1 1/2 inches wide so we could persuade then to come back out. If traps don't work, you may be looking at a temporary hole in your wall.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

That would be awesome!! :eek: :D

Rob thinks its a rat.

I think it is a squirrel.

I thought it was a racoon or opoosum until it went down into our walls.

9. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

If you haven't read "the rats in the wall" by H.P. Lovecraft, you should wait untill you've got rid of whatever it is... :eek:

A

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well one of the maintenance dudes just came by (5 minutes after I called - I must have a reputation now) and he says since it is not a bird, they will probably set a trap by the access panel to the attic.

Oh vey.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Might be a racoon...and you don't wanna mess with them when there back is up to a wall....they will get you...or your dog

Bless

Attached Files:

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Having had mice at a previous house, I can say that the animals always sound larger than they are. If it's in the walls, it's most likely a rat or a mouse. I hope, for your sake, that it's just one, because two become dozens almost overnight. ;)

Move out of there (because of all the reasons from this and previous posts)!

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It could be a MadJew crab. They run sideways, even through walls. Why, I was just chased by one last night!

Yeah, the peeps are right, call your slumlords and tell them "if this thing gives me a disease I'm going to bite you!"

That should get them to get someone out there for ya.

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

They are sending a "trapper" tomorrow. :rolleyes:

And yeah, we're out of here. It's a shame, because honestly, they are nice units.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's fortunate. I've found that it's always a good idea to wait at least a day when dealing with animals in the walls whose gestational periods can be measured in seconds.

Plus, it takes time to gather all the sophisticated trapping equipment, as well as time to put together the elite team required to execute the trapping procedure.

16. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I had to talk to the bitch™ that sent me the nasty-gram and I was way nice to her. She sounded surprised that I can actually be nice.

The thing was getting on my nerves so bad at one point last night that I was going to punch a whole in the wall, drag it out and feed it to the cat™.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

"This is what you get for drawing all those birds to your apartment with those illegal feeders.":eek:

I'd love to see your reaction if the nit mismanaging your complex actually said this to you.:p :D

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are you kidding? The birds were the only thing keeping the rats at bay! :D

19. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

You'd probably have to take off work and bail me out.

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My pleasure.;)

21. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Now this thing is crawling around in the ceiling again.

Ugh it creeps me out even being in here with this thing.

22. CompUser Guest

WE had that problem shortly after we built our house. Everynight I would hear this knawing in the cieling. Eventually I think the thing died. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

And you said Frack. Shame on you!

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Maybe it's the guy with the loud car alarm getting back at you...

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Rat traps with peanut butter for bait.

The alternative is poison, but then you risk a week of foul smell as the body(ies) decompose. Also if Ms Cat finds a dead rodent and eats it, the residual warfarin in the body is enough to injure or kill her. In fact, since rats are cannabalistic, this is counted on to provide a "secondary kill" when the first body is eaten by the others.

There is practically nothing you can do to stop mice and rats coming indoors when the weather is bad. A 3/8" hole anywhere is enough for them to squeeze through (1/4" for mice). It is not indicative of the build quality of the house or of sanitation.

The bird feeder may well be a factor in attracting a population though, as the rodents will set up residence and come out at night to hoover up any spilled seed. It's all-you-can-eat smorgie in ratville if you provide them with a constant supply of seed...

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm... they have a nasty habit of breeding and raising a few dozen kids each before they die...