Fractures on TiBook plastic coping.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Tempy, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Tempy macrumors newbie

Has any one had or heard of the plastic coping on the TiBook 667 getting fractures? This is happening on mine on both the left and right side near the hinges for the lcd. I understand that you have to open and close the screen with both hands and I do...so whaddup? The unit is only 4 months old??
    Tempy

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

*checks closely*

I have one spot near my right hinge that could be a tiny crack or a scratch. I can't tell which. Nothing else suspicious, and I've had mine since November, am not very attentive to opening it with both hands, and have attached one of those after-market cyber3 handles to the hinges.

3. Tempy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, when I check the action of closing and opening the screen I can see a flex placing stress in these two areas. My TiBook gets hot at the back. This could have something to do with this. It seems that every person I ask about hot spots has a different area. Some are front, some on the right and mine at the back??? Must be Apple changing the inner workings.
    Tempy

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If it makes you feel any better Tempy, I've heard of someone who actually had a big crack in their titanium lid near the hinge as a result of the hinge being too tight. So it could be worse. :) :(

I've not noticed anything like this on my TiBook. When I got it, the lid hinge was quite tight - tight enough that I had to hold the bottom down while I opened the lid. But in the 4 months I've had it, it seems to have loosened up some to the point where I don't have to do that anymore. Is yours really sticky?

Alex

5. Tempy thread starter macrumors newbie

My screen is tight. I actually had to have it replaced because of a pixel defect and it makes me wonder whether or not the tech botched up the second screen. If the hinge is too tight then may be this is the case. What do think? Apple will cover this under their warrenty? I mean the thing is 3 months old.
    Did your friend get his larger crack replaced?
    Tempy

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't see why Apple wouldn't cover it under warranty, assuming it was their fault for tightening the screen too much. This story about the titanium lid cracking was not anyone I know, just something I read on the web. Have you contacted Apple about this?

Alex

7. Tempy thread starter macrumors newbie

Alex.
    I called them today and they will fix it under warranty.:) I placed this post to see if any other powerbook users were having the same problem to ascertain if it was a design flaw. As I have haven't heard much I thankfully breathe a sigh of relief. I now have to find the time to be without my TiBook.
    Apple was really quite accomadating about it.
    Thanks for your input.
    Tempy

8. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Tempy, I am gald to hear they took care of you. Are you on AppleCare of just the basic warranty? I am interested to see if you still get treated good without buying AppleCare

9. Tempy thread starter macrumors newbie

buffsldr,

I am still on the original manufacturers's warranty for the first year. I am thinking about taking Apple up on AppleCare though as this is the second issue I've had in four months. The first was the pixel defect which was fixed and now these fractures. So at this rate I would be stupid not to...thoughts on AppleCare anybody??? Maybe I should make my decision on day 363? :D

Tempy

10. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Thanks for the reply. I seem to recall many posting here the applecare for a laptop is critical, unless you know you will be selling it at 12 months. be careful, i think you have to renew warranty during your 11th month