Fragmentation on iPod HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Schroedinger, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I've got a 40 gig iPod, and 50 gigs of music. so, the I'm not just adding music to blank areas of the hard drive as my updates change, I'm erasing old music and adding new music.

My question is, if I had a computer HD that was this full I would defragment it, but I don't know of any way to do this on the iPod. I did reformat it and am now in the process of putting everything back on. that should help but will leave me with the same problem not too far down the road.

any ideas?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Maybe, MAYBE once every year or so, with removing/adding regularly, you should consider reformatting it, and adding your music again. For the most part, fragmentation won't be a problem that you'll notice, until you start getting down to the nitty gritty blocks between songs getting full, then the songs change, and there's more tiny blocks, eventually it could get bad, but i'm talking deleting/adding music every day... If your music got too fragmented, the HD would have to be spun up longer to find it all, which would reduce your battery life. Like i said, not something to worry about much, or often. Once a year, maybe twice if you put a LOT of use on it.

And, for all i know, the thing could optimise itself every so often... who knows...

paul