Frame Rates

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I would like to know what peoples of opinions of acceptable game play on a system is... personally I will turn a game down to lowest settings across the board and as long as it runs smooth Im happy, thats how Im playing BF2 and its still a blast.

Because everyone tends to have a limmit on how far they will turn down settings and still say it runs well, and everyones limmit varies. It's hard to get an accurate idea of how games run on a particular system..

ex. Sims 2 some say they think it runs crappy on a powerbook others say they love playing it on their ibook and it plays fine (for them)

ex 2. WOW some people seem to play this on old ibooks while others find it unacceptable with new powerbooks or the older imacs

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It kind of depends on how you've seen it run elsewhere.

I was happily playing Diablo 1 on my 486 PC until I saw it running on my friends Pentium PC. I thought it was supposed to run as slow as it was, with insane loading times, until I saw how much faster it ran on my friends PC and how much more fun it was, not having to wait for everything.

"It runs fine." isn't very helpful.. and it's IMO fairly useless without some framerates listed (preferably with max, min and average fps) and performance settings. Not that they tell the whole truth (some type of games doesn't need high fps).

I also find NWN and WoW to be nearly unplayable on my PB (rev C, 1.33GHz G4), even with everything turned down (and, no, I don't remember the fps ;)). In the case of WoW that might have changed though... Last time I tried WoW on my PB was in the final U.S. beta. :p (NWN and WoW aren't the type of games I want to play on a laptop anyway).

I usually start at the highest quality I belive is playable, then adjust up or downward until I get acceptable performance. I can be willing to sacrifice some performance (ie. that it actually run slightly bad) if the quality of the graphics is greatly improved..

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Anything more than 60 FPS is a waste of time.

WOW for me alternates on my PC between 0-30 FPS, with Ironforge of course being "helpfull"

Hark back to the good old days of the Amiga when 60 FPS game a game silky smooth scrolling.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

WoW performance has recently been increased on Macs with the latest patch. I play on a PC, so I don't know how much the patch helped.

From what I hear, it is very playable, but it doesn't compare to a less than comparable PC :(. But I rarely hear that someone won't play it because of the inferior frame rates.

scem0

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sims 2 is terrible on my system (1.25 GHz, Radeon 9800 Pro) yet I'm very pleased with how well Doom 3 runs :rolleyes:

I guess it depends on the game.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Exactly. I expect and want different frame rates from different game genres.

7. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand what you mean when you say you want different framerates from different genres fps you need good frame rates but a game like the sims....not so much

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

stupid question *never plays games on computer* how do i find out the frame rates on games?

9. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

not a stupid question I dont know and dont really care I know two framerates smooth and choppy... I belive that above 24 frames per seccond is overkill any faster the human eye wont register a change

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

That's not true. The human eye can see up to 60-70 fps and possibly higher. You don't really need higher than 24 fps for movies, since they use tricks like motion blur, but it doesn't work like that for games.

Another thing is that minimum and maximum fps is important. You want the minimum fps to be as high as possible, and not to be too far from the maximum fps (up to a point). I could get used to playing something at a constant, low, fps.. but playing something where the fps fluctuate wildly with a low minimum fps and a high maximum fps whould be more frustrating, IMO.

eva01: Depends on the game, really. There's no standard way of doing it (though it's often by using the in-game console, if there is one). There's a Windows tool called FRAPS that can mesure the fps in any game, but I don't know of anything like that for Mac. Anyone know?

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well how would i find it our for lets say WoW

12. Church macrumors regular

Church

I totally agree. I play urban terror, a quake 3 mod, and on some servers, they require me to have a maxfps of 50 some odd. This is annoying, because in some places of the maps, my crap emac can get up that high, but when i finally see someone and they start shooting in a trouble area, it drops down to the teens. It's unbearably annoying and torques me off, and more importantly, gets me killed. (btw, I keep the maxfps around 30 so it doesn't fluctuate too much, and yes, at all low settings)

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Ctrl-R, if I remember correctly.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

thank-you, i am new to this computer game things of which you speak of :p

15. Echinda macrumors regular

On my iMac g5 20" with the old vid card, i get about 25 fps outdoors and 60 fps indoors playing WoW. The only time i run into issues is when a full scale battle erupts and the frame rates sometimes dip.

At first this really annoyed me, as I thought it meant I was going to be at a major disadvantage by playing on a Mac, because I couldn't mouse to select enemies etc as fast as i needed to. But then i realised that almost everything you need to do in combat can be done with the keyboard, and waaaaay faster than with a mouse even when fps are high.

So now I've learned to not worry and ignore fps.

16. sucafrutpi macrumors newbie

30 is my comfort level

once it gets below 30, i start getting mad (i'm spoiled with graphics). i usually set graphics settings as high as possible (dual pm G5 2.0, gig ram, nv 6800), except when i'm on my pb, when i settle for 800X600, med settings. the only game that frustrates me is doom 3. that games seems to piss aways system resources like no other. i can only hope that it eventually gets optimized like quake 3 did, but not likely with the announcement of the intel switch.

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

This was done with Project Gotham 2 racing on the xBox.

The game engine is capable of pushing the frame rates higher most of the time, but you would notice the slow down when it got busy.

Bizarre decided to lower the frame rate to keep it constant and smooth.

18. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yep, and I don't know why some people say otherwise, when it's easy to see for yourself. I was playing around with Nexuiz recently, and with absolutely all graphics options on max, I was getting generally around 30 fps. Turning them all off gave me several hundred fps, and the difference in smoothness is blindingly obvious. There is a point beyond which higher frame rates are overkill, but it's somewhere around 100fps, NOT 24. (Although that point is 60fps for LCD monitor users, since the refresh rate is 60Hz.)

However, 30 fps is still playable. Which is a good thing, since current consoles don't go any faster than that....

--Eric

19. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Halo also has a slow constant frame rate I think...
    and everybody loves halo

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I was getting about 12 Frames/second in WoW on my dual 1.8 1.25GB RAM G5 :/ stupid video card

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Only if you deliberately turn on "limit to 30fps"; otherwise it runs as fast as it can. Unless you're playing the XBox version, it which case it's always 30fps max and you don't have a choice, just like every other console game....

--Eric

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Not a console fan then?