Framemaker for Mac OS X ... Petition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AmigoMac, Sep 8, 2004.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The annoying thing is that it still says FileMaker in the topic list :(

Edit: No it doesn't, you must've changed it between when the list loaded and when I clicked the link.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

okay, i filled out this form, but what is Framemaker? :p :eek: :D

yep, i filled out the form but i don't know what that app is. quick, someone tell me before i do that partition! :eek:

4. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Framemaker no Filemaker... Sorry ;)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

FrameMaker is a great page layout program, designed around the concepts of frames, master pages, paragraph properties, and character properties. I loved it and was sad to see it leave the Mac platform. It is especially good at long technical documents, handling just about every requirement you might want for production of a book or technical manual. For these purposes, it puts word processors like MS Word completely to shame. It has many fans who prefer it to other page layout programs.

At one time, it was rumored that Microsoft used FrameMaker to produce their user manuals while FrameMaker Corp. (which used to be its own company before being purchased by Adobe) used Microsoft Word for their letters and simple documents. This story was more evidence that FrameMaker served its specific niche well.

Today may be the last day to take Adobe's FrameMaker survey, which gives you a chance to say you want a Mac OS X version. To take the survey, you start at websurveys.adobe.com/invt and they e-mail you instructions "within 2 days". Since the survey ends September 10, time is tight.

More information about actions you can take on behalf of FrameMaker for Mac can be found on Thomas Michanek's framers page.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

InDesign replaced that product. From what I heard, it needed a complete rewrite so they took the best features and added them to InDesign CS. It's confusing to have 2 page layout programs for the same market from the same vendor.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IIRC, it is more than a rumor that Microsoft used FrameMaker for its manuals. I seem to remember opening a PDF from Microsoft that listed FrameMaker are its creator application. FrameMaker was also the manual writing application of choice for Apple. I cannot specifically refute the notion that Frame (not FrameMaker Corp) used MS Word, but I doubt it seriously. Frame developed FrameMaker for UNIX and later ported it to the Mac, NeXTstep, and finally to Windows. While Frame was an independent company, Microsoft Word was a second-rate player in the Intel-based wordprocessor market. What is more, FrameMaker could do anything that Microsoft Word could do and do it more reliably. Frame had no need to use Word or any other third-party wordprocessor.

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Maybe in Adobe's mind, but not in the technical writing field. Framemaker is still pretty much the standard for technical documents an manuals. If you're looking to get into the technical writing field, knowing Framemaker is mandatory.