Frames Dropped under OS 10 not OS 9

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by revenuee, Dec 19, 2003.

1. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I've been feeling a lot of growing pains since my upgrade to OS 10

First and Foremost was the Loss of my SCSI drive ... i found a firmware upgrade chip-wise not not card wise which in turn meant not full compatibility and when i restart my computer i have to delete the extension and then reinstall in order for my SCSI drive to mount in OS 10 I have to do this subsequently each time i restart.

Any How ... it's a minor inconvenience that i remedied by simply not turning off the computer unless i need to.

But i have found problems that i can't seem to fix and are unacceptable ... The SCSI drive i use to capture Video from my DV cam drops 3 or 4 frames every second, and i've noticed i loose about 2 seconds every 18 seconds, and the resulting movement on screen looks unnatural. i have both this problem when capturing in iMovie 3 and Final Cut Pro 4

For the time being i've remedied the problem by reinstalling Final Cut Pro 1.2 under OS 9.2 and doing my captures through there, and simply importing the clips into my Final Cut Pro 4 work.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? and maybe how to fix it?

- Thanks Rev

2. biscool macrumors member

I'm not sure what you mean by deleting the extension, OS X doesn't use extensions. It sounds to me that the problem lies with your scsi controller. Do you have any IDE drives? I would try capturing to them. The only other thing I can think of is some setting in FCP4 that is different in FCP1 but I cant think of any particular setting that would make you lose frames on the same hardware. What are your system specs? The "OS X Overhead" might be too much for your system...

3. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

Yes it does .. "Kernel Extensions add functionality to the OS"

Ya but the system IDE drive is to small to fit my Applications and capture files

it's 10 gigs and i have 4 left, and it's more of an inconvenience to constantly move that data every 15 minutes of capture then it is to just work from OS 9

I have a firewire drive that i store projects on that require more then 1 hour of footage but it dropps even more frames when capturing to the Firewire drive.

It can't be settings if the IDE capture is fine under the same settings and the IDE is 5400 RPM wile my SCSI is 10000 ... I think it may very well be the OS X Overhead as you said

It's a 400 mhz G4 with 832 MB Ram

4. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

System/Library/Extensions ... there is even a folder

:)