Frames Per Second

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ok well I hear everyone talking about FPS and how they effect games so I decided to benchmark one of my favorite games Need for Speed Underground 2 at 1024X768 using a program called frops.
    I run the game on the pc in my sig... Its not really a good PC for gaming but in my opinion it runs fine.
    So the FPS counter went from 15-35 during the game, now what I dont understand is I see absolutley no difference when its at 15-35 its not choppier or anything it looks the same. When it hits 1 or 2 FPS while loading or something I notice the screen image goes slower. Now this has gotten me paranoid cuz People say 15FPS is really bad but for me it runs fine smooth image and everything.
    Is it supposed to get only 15-35 FPS(mostly around 20FPS) on my set up?
    Oh and i dont have DDR ram I have SD 133 which is slower could that have something to do with it?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

It's really a matter of personal preference, as much as anything. For your rig, your fps sounds reasonable. Some gamers really get hung up about how many fps they get, but for normal folks, it's should be all about whether the game play meets your needs. I think some of the fps thing is driven by people that play multi player games, where your machine's ability to go through the game faster than the other guy may mean you get to shoot first or protect yourself first. When you are play alone against the game, this really doesn't matter. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

30fps is a good figure to be working with on any game and anything above 60fps is a waste of time.

One thing that hasn't changed in computer and video gaming, even years before 3D was king.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well when you eyes only go up to ~24fps then going into the 50+ does seem a bit silly (especially since LCDs stop at around 60), but as Dave said it is a matter of personal preference to what you see as smooth and choppy

When playing a game you are going to find times when there will be sudden drops in the frame rate, thats why its good to have a faster GPU because if its giving faster frames you won't notice the drop so much,

I would prefer if we could have a card that could keep a constant frame rate like 30fps and stay stable all the time :)

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Who said we can only see at ~24fps? We can see far, far more than that.

As a matter of fact, back when 3dfx first released their Voodoo3, they released a little program that showed 2 spinning rooms on either side of the screen - one running at 30fps and the other at 60fps. It was VERY easy to tell that the room spinning at 60fps was far more fluid and easier to look at.

And I personally can tell the difference between 60fps and 100+fps, so don't say its not possible.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

From what I've read our eyes run at ~24fps, of course seeing anything with more frames make the picture more fluid which explains why we can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps

I'm sure im right on this but feel free to correct me

7. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Sorry, but it would make no sense to say that our eyes "run" at 24fps, but can see higher than that.

What you are thinking of is the effect used in the movies, which require 24fps to produce fluid movement on film. Film however, incorporates motion blur, something that a computer doesn't do. So just because a movies 24fps look like "real life" to us, doesn't mean that 24fps in a game looks as smooth.

8. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Yes your right :D

I stand corrected, it seems there is a misconception about the whole 24fps thing and I guess I fell for it :eek:

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's true that our eyes can detect framrates above 24/30, but I've bumped into more than one individual that seems to think they are a walking timedemo, claiming to detect whether a Quake 3 demo hit 140 or 160 FPS or some similarly impossible feat. I find it hard to believe that a person could detect a 20FPS difference when you are already well over 100FPS.

At lower framerates changes are easier to spot, though. Still, I've heard more than one person tell me what the FPS numbers their game is running at, only to be wildly off when we checked with a real time demo.