France die hard secularism could threaten the EU.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Voltron, May 26, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

May 9, 2004
    I didn't want to mess with the current topic about anti-religious rules & laws in France's school system by adding this to the conversation so I started a new thread.
  2. macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Well Sly, you linked the NYT, I am very impressed...did you have to take a hot shower afterwards? :rolleyes:
    Anyway, I do believe it to be best if the wording is left the way it is, as I feel it is in the EUs best interest to remain inclusive (perceptually, at least)...also I think the inclusion of Turkey into the EU will be a big (and good) step, coming possibly in the next round of additions, and they are after all, a Muslim nation...but I admit, not living in the EU, I can only give somewhat ill-informed opinion...cest la vie...
  3. macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hm i'm doubtfull... for me personally adding god into constitution isn't a wise decision especially with the future addition of the turkey (as soon as they sort out their problems)

and of course there are still countries left which aren't clear catholic-protestant-orthodox countries like a few countries on the balcan

but the discussion isn't really important at the moment..more interesting (for austria at least) is how chez republic,slovakia now want to build additional nuclear reaktors in temeln,mochovce (which both are considered dangerous)
  4. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Turkey is predominantly a secular country with a larger history of female politicians than many western european countries. What about the Muslims in the balkans who aren't very secular and whose countries will be joining in the next decade. There's also the remote possibility that northern African nations may be invited to join the EU in some way shape or form.

It's really stupid though because where is mention of the animists? What about the gods of Olympus or the legend of the Nibelung or the scandinavian pantheon? To say that current European government is rooted solely in the Judeo/Christian tradition is a bunch of bs.

Europe has been the center of so many horribly destructive religious wars that it seems extremely stupid of the Poles and other eastern European nations to insist that their god be included in the constitution. Religion should be a personal matter not one that needs to be trumpeted to all and sundry. Are they so insecure about their religion that they need to have god stamped on everything?