France lifts veto threat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In a BBC article, Chirac is quoted as saying about the US sponsored UN Security Council resolution:

Obviously some understanding was reached at the summit of British, French, and German leaders. It will be interesting to see what concessions, if any, the French and Germans won.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3127798.stm

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is very interesting. Der Spiegel had an article the other day stating that Blair agreed to a European army outside of NATO. Blair wasn't too keen on the idea awhile back and now Chirac is backing down from his veto. I wonder what Schroeder got from the deal?

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I had not heard that about Blair backing down on a EU defense force. It had been one of the areas the British had "red lined" in the new EU constitution. That concession would explain a lot. Is there an English translation of the Der Spiegel article? I'm afraid my German is lost in the fog of my high school education.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

We are overjoyed at a common capacity for planning and leading operations without depending upon NATO. As per a paper released in Berlin by Chirac, Schroeder and Blair. The general structure should be agreed upon by the 25 EU members (current and future).

The European Security and Defense Politik is a "Key project for the strengthening of EU ability to act and for the partnership with America. It was stated in a further declaration. By Europe's improved military ability, NATO will also be strengthened."

This is a pretty rough translation but I think the gist of it comes across. The article goes on to speculate that Blair will pay a price for his support. No details are given, just that it is agreed upon in principle. It will be very interesting to see how this plays in Vilnius, Stockholm, Lisbon and the other EU capitals.

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Ugg, thanks for the translation and the link. I saw Blair went to Spain to have a little discussion with the Spanish PM. Now who gets the task of explaining it all to Berlusconi?

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

why, oh why, can't we have a statesman for a president? "I do think it would be helpful to get the United Nations in to help write a constitution. I mean, they're good at that." It's like something a kindergartener. seriously. and as far as his take on UN inclusion in this, he's being very manipulative in a bullying way. they're coming around, though, i guess.

what a crappy state of affairs.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, Blair is now backpedaling and saying that it can only be accomplished if it is complementary to NATO.

Ah, Berlusconi is in his own little world and will manage to insult all three of them for not including him and denying his glorious new state from participating. The sooner he is locked up in a mental institution, the better. gw is bad but Berlusconi is absolutely unbelievable!