France to unveil air-powered car

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Oct 2, 2002.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I used to have a DS11.

It broke down a lot.

I breathe air.

I also pushed that car (a lot), so I beleive I had an air powered French car 10 years ago!

3. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I hope this is not turning into another "bashing France and everybody else who is different in any way"-thread...

groovebuster

4. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

A DS was an oldtimer already 10 years ago. If it was maintained badly it can cause of course a lot of trouble, like every other car. If in good shape this car is a dream! :)

groovebuster

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

What makes you say that??????

Anyways the Citroen DS is such a cool car...... there's a guy knocking around Covent Garden in a black one, not in perfect condition but believe me this car has so much character.....

6. diorio macrumors 6502a

That car could end the problem of decreasing fossil fuels, ending some of our need of the Middle East. If people actually used the car in strong numbers and it became popular it would be great for the environment, but people tend not to want change, they'd rather wait until we have no fossil fuels left and then look for something else. But I think this car sounds pretty good. 65mph isn't really fast, but not really slow either.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I'm curious, how much electricity is needed to compress the air needed in 3 minutes? And what happens in an accident...a lot of compressed air can equal BIG explosion...or a good ol' fashioned jolt.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's wonderful that we're making these technological advances to ensure a less polluted & cheaper means of transportation in the future...

but couldn't they make these new vehicles a bit more pleasing to the eye? :rolleyes:

...and of course, no pun intended ;)

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Do you work or live near Covent Garden? I'm in London for a week (for work--bleh!) and I'm working just off the Bank Tube stop on the Central line and living just off the Green Park tube stop on the Piccadilly line. So I pass Covent Garden everyday (I think, anyway. Is it near the tube stop??)

Later

Taft

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

So obviously you need electricity to compress the air to put in this car. Also there is no compressor on earth in a price range that a gas station could afford that would actually compress the air in 3 minutes. Rather it will compress the air in probably about 45 minutes and store it in a big tank. The big tank will probably hold enough to fill something like 100 cars. So if you run with my very big guesses here you would need 4500 minutes to store enough air for 100 cars or 75 hours approx. 3 days. Yes I'm sure it could be done faster and yes this can be done while filling cars but that's not the point. Even if it can be done in half that time 1.5days. That's a lot of electricity. The motor needed to compress air to 4000psi has to be in the range 40-50hp and that draws a lot of electricity. So you see you're not saving on electricity your just shifting the load to another device and in turn allows you to fill the car a lot faster then a battery powered car charges.

If you take in all that I have said my question is. Where does the electricity come from. In most of the world it is still dependent on fossil fuels. Where I live here in the NW we use Hydroelectric and wind. So my point is electricity still requires polluting in most places of world.

11. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I was referring to the other thread aboutthe iPod being pulled in France...

Besides that I already said that I love the DS! :D My step-father had one 15 years ago... a pity that it rusted faster than you could replace parts.

groovebuster

12. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

this is crazy and wonderful...goes to show that
    the world is greedy. if it wasn't, the world
    would be flipping out about this car and making
    sure that and other alternative vehicles made
    it to market.

13. diorio macrumors 6502a

It's sad really. We know that we don't have an unlimited amount of fossil fuels yet we buy cars that get 8 or 10 mpg. If we weren't so greedy we would have stopped buying gas guzzlers and started to buy cars that get 30 mpg, or stopped using gas vechicles all together.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I remember seeing something on TV that involved chlorophyll powered cars. The only thing they let out was water, so no pollution. What ever happened to those?

Attached Files:

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars put out nice clean pure H20 also.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I wonder if that will be the future car used by most people in 10 years....