Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centripetal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
Let me start by apologizing if this is the wrong forum for such a post, this appeared to be the closest to what I need. Due to some idiocy on my part, my Powerbook (12" model, 1.33GHz) just suffered a 6 foot drop. To summarize: The DVD drive no longer works, the screen is fractured and oozing, and the case looks like something Salvador Dali would design. However, with the exception of the optical drive, all the internals seem to be in good working order (I have it plugged in an ext monitor right now). Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has seen anything on attempting to convert a powerbook into a desktop. The closest I've been able to find is the iNotebook on AppleFritter. I'm fairly mechanically apt, but I'd like a guide in case there are any sticky issues I don't know about in doing such a conversion (ie Laptop freaking out with LCD detached). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I'm not sure how to put it into a new case.. I'm not even sure it's possible because of chips being sodered together. What I do is I have my iBook in my drawer, a 17" flat panel on my desk along with an apple mouse and keyboard and a USB hub. If worse comes to worse, you could always improvise something like that.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Really can't see how there'd be a problem. You'd not need to bother with keyboard/trackpad, because you have USB. PSU is external and working, if you wanted to use desktop components all you'd need is an IDE adapter. Slap it in a custom case -- or you could mount it on a block of wood, hang it from the wall...

There might be some probems show up with the battery logic, all you'd need is some way to fool the PB into thinking it's there - you'd also need to hard-wire the reed switch connection to the lid. There's a guy on these forums just messed with that on his iBook...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.