Fraternities and Football

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macpoops, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I go to a small liberal arts college and am a member of the greek community here. Recently our school's football coach, keep in mind this is division 3 football, has dictated that no member of the the team is permitted to pledge a fraternity. Now the question I have is just how legal is this. i have done some research here and there. I've found a few things that point to it being against a few education regulations as well as the obvious violation of constitutional freedoms.
    I guess what i'm getting at is does anyone have any experiance in this matter, maybe know someone who does or maybe is/knows a lawyer. Cause frankly i think the whole thing is BS and the man should be strung up by his short hairs

2. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

Legaly he is wrong

But being part of a collegiate sports program you have to hold to the what the coaches dictate. If someone chose to be in frat he couldn't legaly be kicked off the team for that, but you could bet that he would be seeing a lot of bench time.

3. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

I;m well aware of that given the fact. i played for this coach for the past 3 years and will be sitting out my senior year, a big part of it being this decision, I understand they can and probably will be blackballed but my question remains can he even legally say this is a guideline. Acting on it is a different story. Cause no matter what regs are placed on a coach his motives are always locked away in his head.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

is he an overzealous member of a 12 step group or some religion or philosophy which he is trying to ram down your throat?

the fraternity shouldn' get in the way of football or the other way around and both of those should come behind school...i could understand the coach not wanting his players to be hung over after a big fraternity party right before a game or practice...but what you do on your own time is your business

you're an adult and he should treat you that way...it's not high school:p