Fraud in My .Mac Email

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jaw04005, Jan 8, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have received an email (in my .Mac account) from a company named joggingstrollersforbaby.com also known as doubleagroup. It said that I had placed an order and that this email was my order confirmation number, stating the order totaled $ .01. Anyways, I contacted the company and they said they had been hacked, and they weren't the ones that sent that email. Well, I checked my credit card status and I haven't been charged for anything as of yet. I was wondering what should I do? Should I have my credit card canceled, contact .Mac about tracing the email since it went through their servers, or what? I have never had to deal with anything like this before. The email had my home address along with my home phone number. No idea where they would have gotten this.

Thanks,

Josh

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

call your bank/credit card issuer and ask them what to do. your liability may be partially (or even fully) dependent on when you notify them of a possible fraud.

3. sketchy macrumors regular

Did the email state the credit card that was used? It might have been a ploy for you to give them your credit card number in an email.

IE -- give us your credit card number so we can see if a charge was sent through... we will need the security number on the back to verify your identity... etc

If you have ever registered in a people finder then you address and phone numbers can be all over the internet.

call the card company and get a new number. You don't need to cancel the account, just inactivate the card and ask them to trace any activity.

Dave

4. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Update

I called the bank, the "mysterious company" charged my .01 cents, and the bank is filing a fraud charge with the merchant. They closed down my card, and I have some paperwork to fill out. I have no idea how they got that information, kinda scares me that they actually did CHARGE my account. Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I was alert, some people might not have went throught the trouble of 1 cent.

Thanks as always,

Josh