Fraud Warning http://www.macgurushop.com/

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by timsq, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

http://www.macgurushop.com/ is a fraud. It is the latest in a long string of fraudulent Mac oriented etailers who feel they can prey on our community. I will remain objective in my analysis of http://www.macgurushop.com/ and show how they look to steal you money and deliver nothing.
    There is a closed thread dedicated to the previous group of site that is for now sticky at the top of this group. Search for macwhiz or mac-discounter and you will find it otherwise.
    The reason for the new thread I feel is to give the opportunity for victims to be heard and experiences to be shared. I was not defrauded personally, but witnessed the loss of $30,000 to $40,000 by those who could do little about it. The FBI had bigger fish as do the RCMP. I believe like so many others that free information is our biggest asset.
    The scam is simple:
    Put up great mechandise at $300 below retail. (bait)
    Don't take credit cards. (trail)
    Require wire transfer. (international and domestic)
    Or eGold (cash)
    Take money.
    Never deliver product.

It reminds me of the one bike, bike shop. Sell it and steal it back. This scam is insidious and stabs directly into the heart of online security. Without knowledge and sense to use it, I can't help feeling those who would be scammed are lost. I appreiciate all the support I have recieved from the MR members. I am doing well and am happy to provide answers to any questions.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Reading that alone would be enough to convince me that it's a scam, you'd have to be very naive to think it was lagit.

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

This is so sad - only because it besmirches the name of MacGurus.com - a great legacy, SCSI and RAID website - I used to frequent their forrums long before MacRumors existed.

http://www.macgurus.com/

4. timsq thread starter macrumors regular

timsq

There are still a few trusting souls...

Never underestimate to power of suggestion. I merely translated their scam into meaningful prose. We cannot protect everyone, but I can't stand by while this guy has his scam operational. Please be on the look out for future inplemetations of this form of scam.

5. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

From what I can see on their website they do accept credit cards... Or is that only a picture, and when you try to check out you are only given other payment options??

6. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

half the pages on the site are dead links too... Hmmmmm looks fishy indeed. And a VERY basic site as far as structure goes.

7. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Credit Cards Accepted

If one goes all the way through the ordering process to the end, there's a place on the invoice to specify credit card information. I've attached a PDF of a bogus invoice that I just created.

If this place is, in fact, a scam, then accepting credit card information could be yet another way for them to perpetrate fraud.

All in all, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from the site.

Attached Files:

8. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

There's no way I'd order a $3000 computer if I had to pay by printing out the invoice and faxing it to the store to pay by credit card. People that fell for this should be more careful!

Still these guys suck big time. Any good hackers out there willing to do a good deed by nailing this site? :mad:

9. sgarringer macrumors regular

If you order something you get an email as follows:

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:25:10 -0500
    To: xxxxxxx@yahoo.com
    Subject: Thank you for your order!

Mac Maniacz Order:
    http://www.macmaniacz.com

Thank you for your order!
    Your order will be processed and shipped within 24 hours as soon as your card is approved, see below for more details...

INVOICE #1100787897
    Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 09:25:10
    Customer ID: 1100798584.22106

WTF!!! They cant even get their email updated from one scam to the next.

Avoid like the plauge.

I ordered 97 iMacs and am gonna get the guys hopes up only to crush them like an ant.

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Mysteriously enough there appears to be nothing found for a little known product called the iPod. Spose it's not much of a seller. :rolleyes:

Also they expect you to enter your own personal details on a page that isn't secure ... again another simple step that plays on the naive.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Hmmm....if you look at the descriptions of the products, all they did was copy the image slice of the pic, text, etc. from the Apple store online. :rolleyes:

12. kevinuaa macrumors member

if you're bored...

Contact Info:

Phone: (404) 795-0518
    Fax: (404) 795-0522

Email: sales@macgurushop.com

Address:

1750 Founders Parkway
    Suite 150
    Alpharetta, GA 30004
    United States

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Fraudulent Mac Retailers thread was closed for reasons explained in the first post of that thread. This thread is now closed for the same reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.