freak... (Bill Gates in Times Square)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sam10685, Apr 9, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i opened up yesterday's paper and on the cover of the living section in The Oregonian newspaper, there was Bill Gates holding a copy of the newly released windowz xp operating system in 2001 in New York's Times Square with windowz xp logos all over the electronic bill boards and stuff over there and grining greedily as if he had just opened an amuzement park. correct me if i'm wrong, but all Steve Jobs does to introduce a new operating system is hold a one to two hour press confrence to say "we have made a new operating system... here are some features... here's how much it is... it ships today... go buy it." sure there's advertising afterwards but i don't think he holds a whole big convention like Gates does he?

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

not exactly the same scale either, Gates is advertising to 90+ % of the world, so while overblown, not uncharacteristic or surprising.

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You also have to keep in mind that when you only release one operating system in like 6 or 7 years, you have a lot of catching up to do ;)

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

It is not even like Bill Gates is introducing an OS to be proud of. If I was responsible for creating and then introducing Windows XPee, I would be hiding underneath a rock... ...in Antarctica. ;) :)

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This is true (sadly for M$). :rolleyes: :)

6. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

What was so funny about that article is that it began to tout the new benefits of the Vista OS.
    1. Widgets - Hello? Tiger anyone?
    2. Transparent windows - again, began with OSX.
    3. Security - First off, isn't this what delayed everything from the get go?

The three major selling points are already available with OSX and it's sad that people out there still think that the systems are incompatible with each other. I have people at work that are still amazed that I can edit an Excel file at home on my Mac and use it at work. Sheesh! Who the heck started that rumor?

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If you can't make your own OS, then steal it from someone else. It is not like M$ has not done it before. :rolleyes:

Windows & "Security" in the same sentence.... :D ;)

It is sad that people view Mac & Windows as being totally incompatible.
    I once stunned someone by telling him that I use M$ Word on my Macintosh. :)

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

I know, my girlfriend send me a .doc file and was like "Can you read this on your mac?" I'm like "uhh... yes? :rolleyes:." She's like "Oh, it doesn't have to be in another format?" lol

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ha, thats funny. :)

I suppose that PeeCee user ignorance is "bliss". ;) :)

10. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

yes, as i was reading about some of the features in vista, i thought to myself, "everything here originated in OS X. interesting..." ("internet explorer 7 makes it easy to download podcasts." WHAT the hell... the stupidity of microsoft makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a butter knife.)