Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Chip NoVaMac said:
Glad to hear that you got your RAM.

Did not now that that you went independent. Congrats.

Yeah some idiot decided to give me a two-year contract and a big retainer.

Sucker.

J/K :D

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
same crap happened to me this morning.

Apparently newegg didn't put my Apt # on the package, but I've ordered from them more than a few times without problem.

UPS came a goo 3-4 hours earlier than usual. And they left no note saying they had come. I saw it from the web that they attempted delivery.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Never really liked UPS, had the same thing happen to me several times. Darn UPS truck blocks my driveway daily as well. :mad:

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
There is no way I will do business with someone that can't control a threatening dog.

Have I told you the story of what happened? No, you just assume he got bit because we couldn't control the dog. Maybe you should ask what he did to provoke the dog to bite before making stupid ass comments about my families ability to keep a dog under control... :rolleyes:

Sorry, that just really bothered me that someone would jump to that conclusion so quickly.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I had a box by my front door for UPS or FedEx with a sign "Close Lid Then Lock" this worked fine until last Christmas. Didn't have the regular guy dropping off stuff and left a $400 gift outside in the snow! Yeah I had waited until 6:45 PM that day and nothing, so I went out to dinner and came back home about 10:30 to find it under the snow. They got a bad phone call, the next answer was even worse since the "super" said try to use a (yeah get this since they don't drop for it) PO Box. Man my head split with that...called his boss, went through what happened and what was said to me and it was taken care of with a call back and an offer to return the package in case it was damaged. In the end everything was ok with the gift but was thinking out of the question or what :rolleyes:

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
ohcrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
There is no way I will do business with someone that can't control a threatening dog.

Have I told you the story of what happened? No, you just assume he got bit because we couldn't control the dog. Maybe you should ask what he did to provoke the dog to bite before making stupid ass comments about my families ability to keep a dog under control...

Sorry, that just really bothered me that someone would jump to that conclusion so quickly.

I thought we were venting at UPS/FedEx...easy ;)

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
All these stories are hilarious!!!! :p :p ...but think about it yall...where would we be w/o fedex or ups??? driving to crucial to get our ram??? ;)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I love my UPS/Fed Ex/DHL guys. But my postal gal refuses to bring me large packages to my door! She let a package sit for ONE MONTH at the p office and I lost money on the deal because I had to replace it and when I go to pick up the replacement shipment, I get the original shipment, too!!! She once told me that "another guy comes around and brings us large packages, she doesn't like to deliver" Huh?

So two weeks ago, she knocks at my door, has me sign a slip and asks me if I mind helping her carry the package up to my floor. (I have an elevator, mind you.) When I get down there, she's pushed the iMac box onto the curb and I pick it up, all happy about the used iMac I got for a friend (its a brown box) and she sees how happy I am and asks me what's in the box. I say, a computer! She looks allguilty and asks again -- are you sure its a computer? Yes, I say as I go back up to my place. Upon opening, it, she has not only SMASHED the iMac but the printer that came with it is also totaled. I now have to run around to repair it after I get the p office to pay me for insured value. I can't tell you how SMASHED it was. She probably pushed it out the back of the truck and it hit the curb.

Just thought I'd share that bit of nightmare with you to make you feel better.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
ohcrap said:
Have I told you the story of what happened? No, you just assume he got bit because we couldn't control the dog. Maybe you should ask what he did to provoke the dog to bite before making stupid ass comments about my families ability to keep a dog under control... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I made an assumption that the guy behaved as a normal delivery person would, absent details to the contrary. Sorry. If there are extenuating circumstances (like he jumped a fence into the dog's run for example, or physically abused the animal), then my comment about controlling the dog obviously does not apply in your case.

But my comment stands for me - If I go on a service call and there is an animal who is given unrestrained access to my person -- 'don't mind him, he's friendly' or 'just don't make any movements that he'd interpret as threatening, and he won't bite' then I am out of there, no question, and they can get their service elsewhere. To me there is no such thing as a friendly crotch-sniff, sorry.

I have been on the receiving end and believe me I don't do anything to provoke the animal. But if the owners can't or won't keep it physically away from me, forget it.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've had exactly this sort of thing happen to me--I'm sitting there, waiting all morning in silence for an Airborne Express delivery, and I get a notice without so much as a tap on the door. Then a couple days ago, the UPS guy, who's usually concientious, drops a delivery on the doorstep without a sound--hitting the doorbell would be a nice touch!

USPS, though--they'll ring the bell AND give a good hammer on the door before leaving a package, even if it doesn't need a signature. Go Post Office!

You'd think that delivery drivers would be eager to save a 2nd trip back to your door--do they get paid by the delivery run or something?

It's pretty much on the individual driver, though; where I live UPS is generally very good for residential deliveries--on time, they (usually) knock and ring the bell, and are friendly and helpful. FedEx, however, is often late, sometimes skips delivery alltogether, rarely knocks, and the delivery guys usually strike me as lazy--one guy was going to just drop a $3000 G5 on my doorstep, which is on the 3rd busiest corner in a college town. Then he wasn't going help my 4' 11" wife even lift it in the door (the computer weighed more than half as much as her).

Business delivery is a whole different matter... FedEx generally does their job at work, but I've gotten several badly damaged UPS packages, including a monitor that had apparently been stabbed with a forklift--right through the box and the back of the case!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
UPS needs to do a better job of Handling Packages

Business delivery is a whole different matter... FedEx generally does their job at work said:
Agreed. UPS needs to do a better job of "handling" the packages. I had a Home Theatre Projector Delivered To me A few weeks ago.

This was shipped via Ground from New Jersey to me here in Massachusetts. It was in there possession for only 9 hours and when it was delivered there was a huge hole on one side of the box, and the other smashed in. Keep in mind that it wasn't double boxed, it was the actual box that the Projector was in.

Luckily, it wasn't damaged.

But come on, for having a package for only 9 hours and the box being sooo damaged.

unbelievable.

When I order things from macmall they get delivered via FedEx, just as if I bought it from the Apple Store in the Mall. My G5 was shipped just in it's box with no additional packaging, and same with my Cinema display. but they arrived in perfect condition, with no dents on either boxes.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife is still waiting for her package. According to the UPS website it has been the teh truck for deilvery since 9/12. amazon.com gave her a $7.95 credit for her problem. Wanted to hear back on the 19th. Still no package, so another message to amazon.com. So we will see what kind of service that they will provide.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
clayj said:
You have to put a sign on your door:

UPS/FEDEX: I AM HERE! KNOCK LOUDLY!

I do this whenever I know a package is arriving the next morning... and the UPS guy always damn near beats my door down.
Ha ha... I do the same thing... :p :D

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
iGary said:
My last place of work, I loved them - reliable and awesome.

If you are at a residence?

Fuhgettaboutit.

Yup! UPS has pretty much lost all of my loyalty over the years. In fact, I actually sent a letter to the CEO of UPS several months ago (and to my surprise; got a response). His secretary called me twice and missed me both times. I called back three times over a week and heard nothing.

I'm actually going to send the letter again, tomorrow. This re-motivated me. :)

It especially pisses me off when UPS drives by every other day at 3pm and then comes at effin 9pm (isn't their cutoff 7pm or something?) the days I have a package. It's a freakin conspiracy.

Oh yeah, and then when I bitch at the guy for coming at such a late hour; he basically tells me to shove it.

FedEx is another story, for the most part they rock. In fact, half the time my stuff comes a day early with them. UPS, CAN be good, but most of they time they suck hard.

asanchezm

macrumors member
May 12, 2005
I recently had the package contents, a 800 dll watch, stolen from within the ups facilities, they delivered the package empty. The claim is already placed, but they are taking forever with it. Thank god it was insured......

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Yeah I'm not too happy with UPS right now either. I had a package sent ground from the Dallas, TX area to Valparaiso, IN and it was shipped Thursday and should be here tomorrow (Tuesday). However, the package sat in Texas for 48 hours and then sat in Louisville for 56 hours and THEN sat in Indianapolis for like 14 hours before finally leaving for its final destination before delivery... uhhh.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Okay, I just had another share of problems with UPS. It starts off with a highly anticipated delievery of my new air pistol. I wait five days for the package to make it to my location. Then, today, I sit back from noon until 5pm waiting for a package when I think maybe just maybe they already came and left a notice.

I go to my door and see nothing. As I'm walking away I deceide to open the door. The moron gave me an attempted deliever notice and stuck it behind the door so I wouldn't even see it. How about putting it on the window so I could see it, genius?!

Now I'm flammed. I call the number on the slip and start barking at them. They said they will have someone call me back in an hour. An hour later I get a call saying "ummm yeah sorry our driver has already made it back to the station but you could come pick it up." God damn this is agrovating but whatever, I'll come pick the damn thing up.

I leave 30 minutes later on my 12 mile journey to get the package. I then get there and they tell me "I've been trying to call you. We actually can't get to the package because the driver stuck it in the storage trailer which is locked up with thousands of other packages until Monday."

OMG you stupid piece of $%!#. Now, I'm back home ready to pull out the spud launcher at next sight of the brown truck. Better prepare them potatoes.

Man I hate UPS.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Eh, they both suck. Each one has done something in my life to piss me off. Fedex never updates their tracking page and arrives at the absolute last minute. They're done delivering at 7 PM? 6:59, you can expect a knock on the door. Although, I will give FedEx props for one thing. A couple years ago in December, I ordered parts to build a new computer from NewEgg. Scheduled delivery date happened to be the 24th. The driver came by at around 8 PM (late, I know) on christmas eve and delivered the package. Yes, it was past the typical deadline, but on a holiday that most people celebrate, I would assume most drivers would take the package back to the hub and make you wait until the 26th. And their tracking system is useless. A package will show being at the first step (ususally package data transmitted to fedex) the entire time it's in transist and once it's delivered, everything will all of a sudden appear.

Although they've done it less frequently now, UPS holds a package until time has passed. Like if it was shipped 5 day ground and it arrives at the St. Louis hub on the 3rd day, they'll hold it. God forbid they should deliver it a couple days early. Not like I live out in the middle of nowhere where its an inconvience to send out a truck, I'm in the middle of a huge freaking city. At least when they hold it, they deliver at a decent hour (around 3 PM). Better than 6:59 at FedEx.

USPS. Ugh. I avoid them for anything besides a letter.

No comment on DHL. Never used them; everyone uses the above 3.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm sorry to hear about both of your problems above. It's just very frustrating.

Luckily amazon.com is a good company. They re-shipped my wife's order. One package arrived today.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I will NEVER use UPS again after my most recent experience. I've had all kinds of problems with their deliveries, usually related to the actual handling more so that the speed of service (which also leaves much to be desired).

I've had packages delivered torn and smashed, or three delivery attempts at extreme times, like 10am. I don't know about you, but I don't know of very many people who are home at 10am. They even managed to destroy a $2000+ handmade custom trumpet I ordered a few years back, and it was shipped in a wooden crate! I had to wait almost 3 months before the company was able to deliver another one, because UPS couldn't be a little more careful. More recently, they somehow got one of my boxes soaking wet containing books and documents and then claimed that I was ineligible for insurance claims because they're not responsible for the weather (it hasn't rained here for four weeks, with one exception after the box was delivered). Fortunately, there was only minor damage to a few books because I packed them carefully and there happened to be some towels in the box as well.

More irritatingly, a sale-turned-unsale here has caused me almost two months of irritation. UPS has taken its sweet time, sending my expensive LCD all over North America and updating its tracking information when it suits them (they changed the tracking number and didn't inform anyone). By the time it was returned (because of a change of mind, and not for any valid technical reason), I'd already moved from my old residence. They tried delivering it there anyway! I had to pay 70 cents a minute for almost half an hour to sort that one out. Finally, they were supposed to leave it at a UPS store for pickup by a friend still in town, but they instead tried to deliver it TO her in the evenings, when she's not home, as they were informed. Ultimately, they've sent it to Kentucky--I don't know anyone in Kentucky, so why there? I have no idea when, where, or what condition it'll turn up in, and I've got the kid emailing me constantly about getting his money back.

Screw UPS, man. I don't have any room for additional stress right now. I just moved to another freaking country. FedEx never gives me this kind of trouble.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
DHL does a geat job handling my computers. If you need to ship one, use them, it is worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.