Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
My desktop is acting freaky.

I just went to change the picture in the background, as I do fairly often, and it's now decided to place some of the images I select in a Apple Blue frame, blow some up so large you can't see the edges, and keep some the way they have always looked.

Up until now my g5 just sized everything to fit the screen.

Anyone know what could be causing this...?

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
No one??

I've set it to one of the ones that still fit perfectly, but would love to have my full range of pics back.

And I've done all my disk doctor stuff, permissions, janitor tasks etc...

Grrrrrrr...

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
mikebatho said:
My desktop is acting freaky.

I just went to change the picture in the background, as I do fairly often, and it's now decided to place some of the images I select in a Apple Blue frame, blow some up so large you can't see the edges, and keep some the way they have always looked.

Up until now my g5 just sized everything to fit the screen.

Anyone know what could be causing this...?
Have you tried adjusting the settings in the desktop preference pane? It's probably set on "Center Image", when it should be set on "Fit to screen".

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Hey, yeah, thats a good point.

Where are my CENTER, TILE & FIT TO SCREEN options...?

Here are shots of my desktop with different images showing. No5 Fits perfectly, the one of the shoes is blown way out of size & off the edges of the screen, and the others have blue frames....

Hmmmmmmm

Attachments

• mydesk1.jpg
    mydesk1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 87
  • mydesk2.jpg
    mydesk2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 97
  • mydesk3.jpg
    mydesk3.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 87
  • mydesk4.jpg
    mydesk4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 94
  • mydesk5.jpg
    mydesk5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 92

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
mikebatho said:
Hey, yeah, thats a good point.

Where are my CENTER, TILE & FIT TO SCREEN options...?

Here are shots of my desktop with different images showing. No5 Fits perfectly, the one of the shoes is blown way out of size & off the edges of the screen, and the others have blue frames....

Hmmmmmmm

hmmm......:confused:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 92

rogerismyname

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2005
os x is weird

urinals.... gross

Anyway, I had the same problem you did. I had all my desktop pictures stored in Hard Drive->Library->Desktop Pictures and couldn't pick how to fit them on screen. I moved them to the first level of the hard drive and then went back to the desktop prefs and chose the folder in its new location. Now all works great.

It seems that if you have your pictures in the system's desktop pictures folder then os x thinks they are all pre-sized to fit perfect.

With pictures in the system library:
gone.jpg

With them anywhere else:

back.jpg

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Yeah, really helpful DAVE, posting a pic to show me where the thing is on your machine, when I've already posted pics showing you that it isn't there on mine....

Duh!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Thanks Roger. Guess I'll have to try that. The thing I can't understand is why on earth it's only happened now!!!!

It's been fine ever since I bought the bloody machine in January.

Thanks anyway.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's not there for Apple desktops but it's there for custom images from iPhoto or Finder or wherever for me. :)

Which has apparently been established now. :eek:

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Yeah. I've moved my downloaded desktops to my HD folder, then selected it from there in system prefs, and it's now given me the options to stretch, fit & stuff.

It's just a pain that I'm going to have to put all my backgrounds, even the apple ones that came with the machine in there, or they don't fit anymore.

Wierd.

rogerismyname

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2005
Yeah, I had no trouble for about 6 months and then all of a sudden couldn't resize anything anymore.

Luckily, I stumbled across that trick of moving the folder out of the system library. Except now I can't keep my pictures the one place I really want to keep them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.