Free 3.0 Upgrade for iPod Touch purchased AFTER WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PoitNarf, Jun 9, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

May 28, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I just bought a Macbook Pro yesterday after the WWDC keynote and went with the free iPod Touch with my education discount. Since I purchased the iPod Touch after the 3.0 release announcement do you think that it will qualify for a free upgrade to 3.0 instead of the $9.99? I seem to recall a similar situation with iPod Touches purchased within a certain time frame of the 2.0 release but I can't remember for certain.
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2009
    I wish I was still in school...

My 15" PowerBook is still running like a champ though (knock on wood)!

In regard to your question, I don't have any answer for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were still charged for the 3.0 update.
  3. macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2008
    If you call and make a big deal about it I'm sure you could get them to do it for free. Not sure they'll ship with 3.0 though.
  4. macrumors member

Apr 24, 2006
    Ithaca, NY
    I'm in the same boat. However, my friend's sister had ordered a MacBook a few days before WWDC and it took longer than it seemed it should have to ship. It turns out they held it until WWDC and then automatically upgraded it to a MacBook Pro and then cut the price. Perhaps the iPod touches will simply be held so they won't arrive before the 17th?
  5. macrumors 6502a

Mar 16, 2008
    i don't think they will. i think 3.0 will ship with the 3rd gen. iPod Touches but you can call and ask
  6. macrumors 601

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I would guess that the current model won't even ship with 3.0 as they went about it last year; it probably won't be preinstalled until new ones come out in September. If you whine/complain enough over the phone, though, they may credit you the fee if you get someone sympathetic to your cause on the line.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm right there with you too. I will be buying a new 13'' macbook pro and then getting the free ipod touch for the back to school promotion. It would be nice to get 3.0 for free. Then again I might wait until after it comes out to buy it. Its not like they will run out of ipods or macbook pros. And I am not in that big of a hurry to get it yet.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2008
    Can;t you just download the 3.0 fw somewhere and manually restore it in iTunes with the fw?