free Audio editing software??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Dec 18, 2004.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

Good day!

I'm trying to locate a software that will let me edit my MP3. I have an MP3/AIFF file saved with about 30 mins of blank nothingness (quiet) at the end after the song is done. I'd like to delete it and then save to iTunes.

What do guys recommend? Is GarageTunes good for something like this? I still don't know what it does and Ive had my Mac for a month now... I'm terrible.

thanks in advance :)

2. PretendPCuser macrumors regular

QuickTime Pro.

I believe you can do what you are trying to do with QT Pro. It allows for doing that kind of editing. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Unfortunately, that'll set you back 30 beans, but hey, you can also then edit video a little easier than launching iMovie as well.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think the OP was looking for a free Audio editing program... while QT pro can do audio work, it's not free, and iMovie isn't really an audio editor...

ANyways, I recommend Audacity... it's an open source application that I've used on both Windows and Linux machines, and it's very nice. There's an OSX build that I assume is as good.

You can get it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good luck,
    Rob

4. senseibiz macrumors regular

How about using imovie, I mixed a few songs on imovie. just drop them in and edit the songs. Then save them and import them to itunes.
    and its FREEEEEEEEE.

Ill let you know the steps when I get home, very easy.

5. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

I think Griffin's FinalVinyl can handle simple audio editing, and it's free.

6. senseibiz macrumors regular

Its free, but you have to own a powerwave or imic to use the software.

"Free audio recording software exclusively for Griffin PowerWave and iMic owners."

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Garageband can do this, and should already be on your system (if it's recent). You can drag the mp3 or aiff file straight onto an open Garageband window and edit it from there. You can export it directly to iTunes. It creates an aiff file in iTunes, from there you can convert it to aac or mp3 if you wish.

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Audacity is a good way (lots of effects), imovie can do it easy...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have a consumer mac, like an iBook, SoundStudio will easily do what you want, and you can do fadeouts, etc, to make it sound cleaner. I've done this once in a while with it.

The other thing you can do, if you really want a quick solution, is to go to the info window for the song in iTunes and edit the "stop" time, which will make the song stop before the MP3 file ends. The effect will carry with the song in mixes, and also on your iPod. But if you need to do a fade-out, or you're concerned about space, then SoundStudio or audacity or another such program is a better bet.

10. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your response.. I will try audacity and GarageBand.