Free CD Burning Programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aznspyder, Nov 4, 2005.

1. aznspyder macrumors member

Oct 24, 2005
    California and Bangkok
    Anybody know any great programs which I can use to burn CDs? I'm looking for something which can burn audio, data, and (though not necessary) maybe video discs.
  2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Is there something specific you are trying to do that the built in software of your mac does not accomplish??
  3. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    You are aware that iTunes burns audio CDs, and OS X natively can burn any type of CD you could desire?
  4. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    iTunes burns audio CDs, mp3 discs, and something else I believe. OSX burns all your data needs (CD and DVD). Were you looking for something in specific??
  5. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    maybe those crazy music CD rom things, like a music CD that plays in a CD player but also has stuff for computers... I know toast can do that, as well as audio cds with track names, which are pretty sweet. But toast isn't free.
  6. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2005
    As said before iTunes and Mac OS X can do burn audio cd's data, or whatever else. If you want to go more complicated that that, than it looks like you'll be buying Toast 7 then:)
  7. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    DiscBlaze is a shareware app, with 10 free burns for the 'trial' period.

8. 00poop6x macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually, I'm trying to burn with Finder and the Mac can't even see a blank CDr. If it's the brand, then Mac has a big problem as this CDr disc works with many PC's...
  9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Macs are pickier with their meida. Same goes for RAM.
  10. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    I've never noticed either of those things to be true. And I usually buy the cheapest media and RAM I can find.
  11. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

thats good that the disc works a on a pc. now go out and buy verbatim or apple branded cd and trying burning. your cd-burner in your mac is a totally different unit how does proving that the disc works on a pc have anything to with it functioning on your mac?
  12. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You should not have to buy special CDrs for your Mac. I have never had a problem putting any CD in unless that specific CD was bad. The CD drives in Macs are the same ones as in PC. I swap them all the time. So try a different disc and make sure your Mac has a CD burner (if it is new is should but if it is old it might not).
  13. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    No offense, but thats a ridiculous assertion! I have never had any problems buying any brand of media, and having it burn natively with OS X. For the OP, try going into system preferences, and having your cd mount in the Finder, upon insertion. You should see it on your desktop from which you can drag and drop files to burn. I had a similar problem as yourself where the Finder would not recognize my media, but changing this setting in system preferences, I believe corrected it. Lastly, you may want to open Disk Utility, and try mounting the media from there.
  14. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

no offense, but I think I have a lot more troubleshooting expierence with hardware than you do and testing another kind of media is the logical step to logical figure out the problem.

also note that different cd-r are made of different material. different onboard firmware is required to read different types of material. if the cd-burner firmware is corrupt that could cause problems. therefore it is possible for a burner not to be able to read a specific type of media and that has nothing to do with the OS X.