Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I've got some major DIY works coming up in the next few months and I need to lay out my kitchen to make sure it all fits (I'll be rearrangeing things, demolishing walls, that kind of thing!)

I was CAD trained in my old place of work, using Anvil (2D) and Solidworks (3D) however my new work doesn't give me access to anything useful (and even Ikea Kitchen planner is banned by the regime.)

I've tried Cadintosh and Google Sketchup however not really impressed by their operating philosophy, probably just because it's different from what I'm used to.

If I can't find anything better then I'll make do with them, however I was just wondering if there was anything else out there free-ish or a small fee (since this is the only time I'd be using it.)

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Alibre, its not free (its actually fairly pricey) but it did have a demo version at one point which might be good enough.

Actually I'm sure some of the others have a trial too which might be worth looking into

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
How exactly can you do your own subcontracting if you can't afford the design tools to do it? I think that's when it makes more sense to outsource. Find a builder or architect that can spend half an hour with you looking at your rough plans and then expect a revision or two. Why does it make sense to do all that when you only have one kitchen, and you're only doing one reno?

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Let me explain why I'm doing this all by myself (and on the cheap!)

I've been an engineer for 15 years, a CAD draftsman for 10 of those, I've got a 2-1 honours degree and part way through a masters course to get chartered, so I'm not going to pay for somebody with less experience to lay out my kitchen! I will be removing a stud-partition wall between my kitchen and dinning room to make it a bit more open plan, this is a non-supporting wall so I do not need planning permission (already checked with the council) hence I won't need 'proper' architect drawings, builders warrant or engineer's certificate (which I can't do because I'm mechanical, not civil, but I know plenty of civils if need be.)

So basically all I need is the Ikea kitchen planner which is Mac unfriendly. Sure I could obtain a copy of Windows and run it through Parallels or Boot Camp but since I'm going to that effort I thought there might be a better technical solution (there are some pipes and a staircase I'd like to map out too, beyond this program.)

I don't need to give the drawings to subcontractors because I'll be doing it all myself. Me and my dad can plaster, paint, joinery, electrics, fit cabinets! The kitchen supplier only needs a number of cabinets, again not 'proper' drawings. The only bit I'm not too hot on is tiling the floor and splashbacks, but my mate can do that.

I'm going to give Google Sketchup another chance, if I can't get it to work then I'll go for Solidworks through Boot Camp.

Minxy5

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
CAD Options

I am an engineer and have been using ViaCad from Punch software very successfully for 2D, 3D and solid models for the last 2 years in my business. Look here: http://www.punchcad.com/full_store.html They have a range of products for 2D to full Solid Modeling (Shark and Shark FS). Bit of a learning curve coming from AutoCad but once you get used to it much better.

An alternative I have also used is TurboCAD here: http://www.imsisoft.com/ The Mac products are very similar to the lower level ViaCad options.

Quite good file export and import compatibility with AutoCad, and of course you can print to PDF.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Try this http://sketchup.google.com/

I drew a 3D model of my house before i built it! Works fantastic :)

Did the city Building Department accept your Sketchup drawing as the plans for you building permit? I drew some freehand sketches on graph paper before I built. But in the end I had to hire a architectural firm and a civil engineer to get the plans approved.

To the OP: "Turbo Cad", the 2D version is easy to use and learn and retails for about $60. Their 3D version has a much longer learning curve. You don't need a 3D cad package for such a simple project. Turbo Cad has a user interface that is I'd say, half way between Autocad and a Mac-like draw program. You should be able to use it quickly to make plan view and elevation drawings

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Originally Posted by Agurri

You could try ArchiCAD

This.
I too would recommend the trial version of one professional program, like ArchiCAD or VektorWorks. They do have watermarks or a 30day trial restriction, but that should not interfere with your requirements.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14

Thanks, but the kitchen was built 3 years ago....

What's that supposed to mean? You've asked for free/cheap CAD software.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Pen, paper and imagination, drew it to scale!
I'm a draftsman by trade after all.
I'll maybe post photos soon as I've just hooked up a Mac Mini to a 42" Sony in my kitchen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.