Free/Cheap National ISP?

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Oct 1, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey all,

I'm looking for a free/cheap national ISP for use when I'm out of town.

i'd prefer not to download/install any extra software.

Anyone have any recs?

I saw someone had mentioned an up-to 10 hour free one, but I thought I bookmarked it, but can't find it.

arn

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

netzero? I believe it's 50 hours free but it signs you off every 45 minutes and beats you with ads until you say, "No, no, no more, please!"

I think it's 10 bucks a month for unlimited...But maybe I'm mistaken. I know that at least it doesn't sign you off every 45 minutes or beat you those ads if you pay.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hey Arn,

I'd go with Juno. It's not the greatest service in the world, but it's only $9.95 per month, it's unlimited access (I think), plus it has some nice seamless integration with iChat. Good luck!

5. big macrumors 65816

big

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

He already stated he would rather not use additional software and unfortunately both Juno and Netzero require you to use their software.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

if you get earthlink cable, they offer a nationwide dialup service free with your cable internet, for when you are on the road. my parents in austin have earthlink cable, and when i am off campus here in Norman i am able to get online with earthlink at 56k, using their account.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just signed up for fastermac.net yesterday. It's $10.95 each month or $9.99 in groups of 3. It's even cheaper by the year.

The service is run by the same company which owns OtherWorld Computing.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Grrrr.... I have Charter cable, and they have no dial up number for when you are on the road. I'm ready to ditch them just because of that, let alone the fact that they cut my service off yesterday, 3 days before my moving out date when it was supposed to be. What a headache that's been.

I wouldn't mind a free/extremely cheap dial up ISP either I guess, since it would cost another $5 - $10 a month for any other cable/DSL/what-have-you connection, since my internet service is bundled with cable tv and they give a $10 break for the package.

10. dcb macrumors member

You can always try the prepaid cards. I've never used one, but I see them in the convienience stores all the time.

11. big macrumors 65816

big