Free compression software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CityMunkey, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. CityMunkey macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    London, England
    #1
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #2
    If all you want is to zip files, then you can just select all the files or put them in a directory and select the directory, and then right click (or ctrl click) and select the create archive option. Otherwise VersionTracker has several options....
     
  3. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

    mcmadhatter

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2005
    Location:
    Bath, UK
    #3
    open terminal and then use gzip :)

    good for if you in a hurry but not very user friendly
     
  4. CityMunkey thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    London, England
    #4
    Thanks!

    That's cool - I didn't realise that was even an option, the 'create archive' thing (I am very new to Macs).

    :D
     
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #5
    Zip and tar and a couple of other formats are built into almost every unix. There is a built-in-utility that is a front-end for zip called BomArchiverHelper or something like that. It lets the system zip and unzip. So you can also unzip files by double clicking them.

    For most people, the only additional file compression software you might need is Stuffit Expander (free at http://www.stuffit.com ). Occasionally files appear in stuffit formats (.hqx, .sit, and I think a few other extensions). Not very often anymore. Microsoft was one of the last holdouts, and I think they are finally using Disk Images (.dmg -- don't need any special utilities to make or open these).

    So 99% of Mac files are distributed as .zip (opens automatically with BomArchiverHelper and create by right clicking and selecting Create Archive) or disk images (.dmg, open by double clicking and create using Disk Utility), and most of the remaining 1% is in StuffIt files.
     

Share This Page