Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamemasta0

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Metadata

For some reason my metadata method only works for those songs... which I did acquire from another computer who had bought them in my network. It may have something to do with protected AACs like they suggest since the only ringtones on my phone (which I'm thankful for at this point) are ones I have bought

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
If all you ever want to do is put those two ringtones on your iPhone, I would fully support you using iToner and not paying for it. All you need to do is wait a little bit through the nag dialog, and then Sync your iPhone in iToner, and those ringtones should stay on your phone through iTunes updates, iPhone OS updates, etc.

Certainly we're a commercial company that has bills to pay, etc., but I would not begrudge you one bit for using iToner to put these two ringtones on your iPhone, and leaving it at that.

People who want to do more with ringtones, adding/deleting them from time to time, etc., of course I would encourage to pay for iToner. While it may not seem like it from the outside, it was actually quite a bit of work to get iToner to function properly.
I very much appreciate that. FWIW, I bought Snapz Pro X once upon a time. I haven't needed to do screenshots in ages, or I'd updated it... :)

Gamemasta0

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Another interesting finding

Now that my Ringtones have been transferred for what seems to be multiple times, iTunes seems to not have tagged them correctly because they actually HAVE been syncing multiple times. I checked in iToner and it shows about 4 duplicates of some songs and more for others and less for others... just take this into account

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
If all you ever want to do is put those two ringtones on your iPhone, I would fully support you using iToner and not paying for it. All you need to do is wait a little bit through the nag dialog, and then Sync your iPhone in iToner, and those ringtones should stay on your phone through iTunes updates, iPhone OS updates, etc.

Certainly we're a commercial company that has bills to pay, etc., but I would not begrudge you one bit for using iToner to put these two ringtones on your iPhone, and leaving it at that.

People who want to do more with ringtones, adding/deleting them from time to time, etc., of course I would encourage to pay for iToner. While it may not seem like it from the outside, it was actually quite a bit of work to get iToner to function properly.

You're very open minded :eek:

Personally, when I try a shareware program that I like I buy it ;)

DoubleD07

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
how does it know you have bootlegged tones? It would seem to me that there would be a list of stock and tones available via iTunes and it iTunes found some not on the list it would delete them. So if you named it Miranda or one of the other stock tones it would over look it?

aaiphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Another work around is just to use sendspace and send yourself a regular MP3 and just save it in ~/Library/Ringtones and bypasses the whole iTunes ringtones... I upgraded to 7.4.2.4 and was not able to do the id3 tag with iTunes...

PineAPPLE

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Why not do this?

Just SSH them into your phone... I did this with mine using CyberDuck a long time ago and they have survived every single firmware update.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
Perhaps we should report "Custom Ringtones not Working" as a bug on bugreport.apple.com
:D

Seriously, Apple is embarrassing themselves with this whole issue. I don't care if it's the music industry which is twisting their arm, this looks bad. And the fact that it took them... what, two to three tries to close it "properly" - this looks even worse (and we know there will probably be a hack eventually).

chazzzzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2006
iToner Still works great

Just tested iToner and it works great.. so get that program and stop complaining.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
Perhaps we should report "Custom Ringtones not Working" as a bug on bugreport.apple.com
:D

Seriously, Apple is embarrassing themselves with this whole issue. I don't care if it's the music industry which is twisting their arm, this looks bad. And the fact that it took them... what, two to three tries to close it "properly" - this looks even worse (and we know there will probably be a hack eventually).

Well there is, the ringtones can be added to the phone via SSH, and there is still iToner (which isn't free, though). Somebody is going to eventually make a free program that does a similar thing like iToner.

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
Just SSH them into your phone... I did this with mine using CyberDuck a long time ago and they have survived every single firmware update.

Again, if you use this technique, your ringtones *will* get wiped out with the next iPhone OS update. That's one reason we don't do it that way in iToner.

macit iphoneguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Iphone (ifool)

What a mess apple!!!! For many reasons I regret my IPhone and ringtones is one sore thumb. I miss my symbian v1 6620 phone that I swapped from to get an IPhone. I was able to sync with contacts get free 3rd party apps like nes and of course put any ringtones id like on there including Ogg's with an extra plug-in for symbian that was readily available through 3rd party sites... The whole 9 yards, and no jailbreaking, unshackleing. Or any other modification required. STANDARD FEATURES (OPEN SOURCE) Maybe I need a Linux or symbian phone...

Foolish me for thinking that apple would produce a good cell phone allowing any ringtone I choose supporting mp3 aac wav ... maybe even ogg at some point through some special plug-in or modification.

Instead they are trying to turn me into a fool who would pay $2 for a song I own just to downloaded it from them and then convert it into a ringtone once... per 99 c that is. Personally over the past 3-4 years ive had my nokia ive laughed at people who pay anything for a ringtone. Sure maybe its great for those non power users or even inexperienced users but for those of us that know what’s going on let us be. Free ringtones have long been available to those with a little know how!!!

ITS A RINGTONE MADE FROM A SOUND (song or not) ON MY PHONE. A PHONE THAT I PAYED MY MONEY FOR MAKEING IT MY PROPERTY AND ALSO SIGNED MY LIFE AWAY FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS.
IT’S MY RIGHT TO BE ABLE TO USE IT AS I SEE FIT...

Apple you are annoying your power users

SCHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN N95 I GUESS

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Again, if you use this technique, your ringtones *will* get wiped out with the next iPhone OS update. That's one reason we don't do it that way in iToner.

while i agree with you and we love your software keep it up... anyway since i hack and add apps to my phone anyway i might as well use the ssh way, since i have to wipe my phone everytime there is a firmware update anyway... but if i didnt hack and add 3rd party tones i would use iToner...

i have my bro using it right now and he loves it. :)

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Once again, iToner may not be free but it works. It's $15 dollars more towards a phone that you likely spent $600 on.

YoungCreative

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Ohio
For now, I am not going to upgrade my iTunes. Seems the only real "fix" is to cripple my ring tone. So, for now, my phone still shouts out, "Bring out your dead!" :D

C'mon Apple, have a heart and let us express ourselves creatively. Now, wouldn't that be "insanely great", Steve?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
For now, I am not going to upgrade my iTunes. Seems the only real "fix" is to cripple my ring tone. So, for now, my phone still shouts out, "Bring out your dead!" :D

C'mon Apple, have a heart and let us express ourselves creatively. Now, wouldn't that be "insanely great", Steve?
This is the best policy. I don't know what I was thinking, running the update. What's aggravating, though, is that you can't hold out forever--any iPhone update will require the latest iTunes, for sure.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
What a mess apple!!!! For many reasons I regret my IPhone and ringtones is one sore thumb. I miss my symbian v1 6620 phone that I swapped from to get an IPhone. I was able to sync with contacts get free 3rd party apps like nes and of course put any ringtones id like on there including Ogg's with an extra plug-in for symbian that was readily available through 3rd party sites... The whole 9 yards, and no jailbreaking, unshackleing. Or any other modification required. STANDARD FEATURES (OPEN SOURCE) Maybe I need a Linux or symbian phone...

Foolish me for thinking that apple would produce a good cell phone allowing any ringtone I choose supporting mp3 aac wav ... maybe even ogg at some point through some special plug-in or modification.

Instead they are trying to turn me into a fool who would pay $2 for a song I own just to downloaded it from them and then convert it into a ringtone once... per 99 c that is. Personally over the past 3-4 years ive had my nokia ive laughed at people who pay anything for a ringtone. Sure maybe its great for those non power users or even inexperienced users but for those of us that know what’s going on let us be. Free ringtones have long been available to those with a little know how!!!

ITS A RINGTONE MADE FROM A SOUND (song or not) ON MY PHONE. A PHONE THAT I PAYED MY MONEY FOR MAKEING IT MY PROPERTY AND ALSO SIGNED MY LIFE AWAY FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS.
IT’S MY RIGHT TO BE ABLE TO USE IT AS I SEE FIT...

Apple you are annoying your power users

SCHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN N95 I GUESS

I agree that they are kind of making a mess out of this ringtone business. 3rd party development... it remains to be seen. I am fine with AppTapp installer (which is an amazingly cool application, oh my goodness!) and the steadily and vastly improving availability of games and IM programs... even the NES emulator, though I haven't messed with it. I am a power user, and I am really enjoying things over all. Apple being stupid about things like this (which are mostly due to record labels, I really think--not legal requirements, but they can't just piss them the heck off that way) really shys in comparison to the general awesomeness that is the iPhone experience. Honestly, I'm a lot more pissed off about Yahoo's BULLCRAP "IMAP support" that only lets you use IMAP on your iPhone and not on your computer. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT? I am also a lot more pissed off at Google for not supporting IMAP at all. And I am even more pissed off than that about how Apple's Mail app on the iPhone doesn't sync at all with the mail.app program on my computer. No options to sync folders, and no syncing of rules or junk filtering. what a bunch of BS. Ringtones are way peripheral to that.

And I still love my iPhone. It has a long way to go, but has the potential to go there. I wouldn't give it up for any other phone.

wm666

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I think actually it's easy to get it work with other third party software. iNdependence, for example, works for me :)

breathmint

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
thimble island

yeah, i have to agree here. i have been anti-iTunes since the beginning (for myself). i know it's great for some users, but for those of us who like a little more control over our files and our player, and don't need something so bloated and convoluted for something as easy as naming files, and listening to them... iTunes has never been the solution.

i only installed it upon being forced to, by purchasing an iPhone. that said, it works fine for me. i installed 7.4 and then 7.4.1 and from there i shall stop. it does everything i need (it will sync music and info to my phone) !! it will even let me update my phone's firmware w/o forcing me to update iTunes. so why bother updating, if it only means locking out more and more features?

my mp3 library is about 100 GB of music, roughly 20% of which is ripped from CDs I have purchased throughout my life. Another 40% are other people's rips of CDs I have purchased (still seems legal to me). Now, why on earth does Apple think if I buy a song somewhere else it isn't legal?? As if "only the iTunes store sells the rights to music, screw you if you bought the cd and did your own rip..."

well if you feel like i do, then just go back to 7.4.1... at least for now... until someone releases a good/free app for doing the real right thing.

Windows (7.4.1):
http://filehippo.com/download/4d2c4ece54bf48663eb26fd230f0d5a8/download/
Windows(7.4):
http://filehippo.com/download/1a764d21822ec482861ee70faf59f32f/download/
OS X (7.4.1):
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1066335784/2

my 2 cents,
mint

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN

If this isn't a subtle plug, I don't know what is! ;)

Oh, Welch... Say hello to Hector for me.

P.S. Since you guys are all iPhone savvy now, hows about porting some of your delicious games to be all iPhone-friendly? Don't make me say it.............. Escape Velocity...............

Damn, I said it.

-Clive at Five
(a.k.a. Super Ant ;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.