Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several users have noted that custom ringtone workarounds have started working again the latest version of iTunes and iPhone firmware 1.1.2. The most detailed descriptions were provided by:

overminer for Windows XP
1. Choose your music or sound (mp3)
2. Use audacity to cut the song to 40 seconds or less
3. Drag the song to itunes
4. Right click on the song in itunes and convert to AAC
5. Find the .mpa song in folder My DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes Music
6. Make sure you have a folder My DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes MusicRingtones (if not create the folder)
7. Rename the .mpa song to .mpr (you may want to change your computer settings to show hidden extensions)
8. Double click on the renamed song.
9. The new ringtone should now appear in the ringtones list in itunes. Select it for syncing
10. Sync the iphone.
11. Go to SettingsSoundRingtone on the iPhone. There is a new grouping called Custom. Your new ringtone should be there.

and jkwuc89 for Mac OS X 10.5:
Select the song in iTunes that I want to use as a ringtone. Protected AAC files will not work.
Right-click on the song and select Get Info
Go to the Options page and select the start and end times for the ringtone
Right-click on the song again and select Convert Selection to AAC
Right-click on the converted song and select Show in Finder
Drag the .m4a file from the Finder window to your desktop
Go back to iTunes and delete the converted song from iTunes. When I skipped this step, double clicking on the .m4r file to import the ringtone into iTunes did not work properly.
Right-click on the song file on your desktop, select Get Info and change the file extension from .m4a to m4r. You should get a warning message about changing the extension.
Open a Finder window and locate the Ringtones folder underneath your iTunes folder. The path should be /Users//Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Ringtones. If this folder does not exist, create it.
Drag the renamed song file from your desktop to the Ringtones folder in Finder.
Double-click on the .m4r file now stored inside the Ringtones folder. iTunes should change to the Ringtones folder under Library near the top and start playing the ringtone
Plug-in your iPhone to begin the sync process. This should copy the ringtone over to your iPhone. You can verify this after the sync is complete by expanding the iPhone contents inside iTunes and then, selecting the Ringtones folder.

Now, after doing the sync step above, I still did not have a Custom category under Settings | Sounds | Ringtone on my iPhone. I suspect that "something" must be done to get this to appear (like purchasing and syncing a ringtone for instance). So, to work around this, I downloaded, installed and ran the trial version of iToner. After doing one sync from within iToner, the Custom category showed up on my iPhone.

We don't know if Apple will take this method away again in the future. In the meanwhile, iPhoneRingToneMaker (Windows) and iToner (Mac) continue to function with the latest updates.

Article Link

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I did it in OS X slightly different.

Dragged the song I wanted to convert from my iTunes library to the desktop.
Opened GarageBand and imported the song.
Edited the song to be about 26 seconds long and the part I wanted.
Imported to iTunes using the built-in feature to import to iTunes.
Dragged back out to my desktop, rename from aac to m4r.
Imported back to iTunes, and it showed up in my Ringtones folder.
Sync'd iPhone and worked like a charm. I've only tried it with 1 song, but I imagine that this would work with any other drm-free song.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
That's good news. :) I want to make some ringtones that sound like a traditional ringing phone, but different from the ones supplied with the iPhone -- so my ring can stand out from others.

One trivial thing that really annoys me in a business setting is phone rings that sound like music. It just messes with the required mindset for getting my work done. At a bar or a stadium, those rings don't bother me a bit -- I even look forward to catching a clever one.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
I did it in OS X slightly different.

Dragged the song I wanted to convert from my iTunes library to the desktop.
Opened GarageBand and imported the song.
Edited the song to be about 26 seconds long and the part I wanted.
Imported to iTunes using the built-in feature to import to iTunes.
Dragged back out to my desktop, rename from aac to m4r.
Imported back to iTunes, and it showed up in my Ringtones folder.
Sync'd iPhone and worked like a charm. I've only tried it with 1 song, but I imagine that this would work with any other drm-free song.

That works for me.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I noticed that it can't be 30 seconds. It has to be less than 29 or it won't work for me. This is weird considering the ones I bought are 31 each...

RosieO

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
I noticed that it can't be 30 seconds. It has to be less than 29 or it won't work for me. This is weird considering the ones I bought are 31 each...

I just made 2, one is 39 seconds and the other is 40 seconds and they work perfectly on my iPhone.

juststranded

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006
I made an Automator action that does this automatically, but I don't know how to share it with everyone. Can someone help me get this out to people?

Here are the steps you have to take:
1. Set the start and end times in iTunes for the songs you want.
2. Select them.
3. Go to desktop and run script.
4. Select the songs on the desktop and click continue.
5. (Be sure the Ringtones folder is selected in the prompt, and) click continue. (I don't think I can have it make and select the Ringtones folder for you because your paths might be different depending on what your "Home" name is and whatnot. You'll have to set it personally in order to skip this last step)

P.S. I don't have an iPhone so I can't test, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

waste46

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
LI Ny
there are alot of unnesssaccery steps here. Teh onl;y program needed is itunes.

1. Select song you want, edit start stop tiome to your liking, as mentioned above.
2. make sure you import file format is aac
3. convert selection to acc (by right clicking oir a cnrtl-click)

and thas it, steps are the same for windows and mac users, its accesible for itunes users, which should be all iphone owners.

aonflux

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
what if you need to delete a ringtone?

when i used this method to create ringtones a few months ago, it worked fine. however when i tried to delete the ringtone it would still show up in itunes even though the file was not on my computer anymore. does this problem still exist? Thanks.

jami7103

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Can't find it??

I did everything listed, the ringtone is in Itunes in my ringtones folder. But when I synced I can't find it on my phone. There is nothing that says custom. I checked the ringtone before I synced and I didn't get an error message. It's just nowhere to be found on my phone.

sacsig

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
works for me!!!!!!

The weird thing was that when I synced my phone it said the file could not be copied to the phone, but it did anyway!

iSaint

macrumors 603
After much experimenting...

Here's my method using iTunes 7.5, Leopard, iPhone 1.1.2

1. Select the song you want to make a ringtone out of
2. Select Get Info, Under the Options tab, select the thirty second portion of the song you want to be your ringtone. i.e. 0:00 to 0:30 Click OK
3. Under iTunes preferences, under Advanced, make sure your importing method is AAC Encoder.
4. Select Advanced on the toolbar, then Convert Selection to AAC. It should only take a few seconds, and the result will be a duplicate file of said song, only it's thirty seconds in length.
5. Drag this new file to your desktop. Select Get Info (Apple + I) and change the file extension to m4r
6. Drag the file to your Ringtones folder under iTunes Music. For convenience, I placed a shortcut to this folder in the sidebar of the Finder.
7. Double click the file from that location. It should start playing, and appear in your Ringtones portion of the iTunes sidebar. It will also appear in the Ringtones tab of your iPhone device. Sync, and it's there!

This is fun! I hope they don't change it again soon.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I know that most of us are geeks here, but if some innocent consumer wandered in here and wanted to create free ringtones for their iPhone, those instructions would not help them.

The instructions, as I would state them for an average user:

1. Drag the song onto your desktop.
2. Open it in quicktime.
3. Cut it down to 30 seconds or less.
4. Change it's file extension name to .m4r.
5. Drag back into iTunes, and put it in "ringtones."
6. Sync to your iPhone.

danor

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Re:
Custom ringtones do work with 1.1.2 without hacks on a Windows XP system. Here are the steps.

1. Choose your music or sound (mp3)
2. Use audacity to cut the song to 40 seconds or less
3. Drag the song to itunes
4. Right click on the song in itunes and convert to AAC
5. Find the .m4a song in folder \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music
6. Make sure you have a folder \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones (if not create the folder)
7. Rename the .m4a song to .m4r (you may want to change your computer settings to show hidden extensions)
8. Double click on the renamed song.
9. The new ringtone should now appear in the ringtones list in itunes. Select it for syncing
10. Sync the iphone.
11. Go to Settings\Sound\Ringtone on the iPhone. There is a new grouping called Custom. Your new ringtone should be there.

That was easy. Ringtones seem to be snappier...
When you say 'rename' how is it that you can rename the extension
or are you just renaming the title?
ie - "song" (it's extension is .m4a)
to "song.m4r" (it's extension is still .m4a) ?

I am using U.S. iPhone version 1.1.2 with itunes version 7.5.0.20

cgonz61070

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
I'm still using version 1.0.2 on my iphone since i'm not in the US and upgrading it will cause blocking... and I have the new 7.5 version of itunes... I guess this combination will not work for customizing ringtones? I'm having the same trouble of: getting the ring on the "ringtones library" of itunes, but not recognized in the "ringtones tab" of the iphone area... and after trying to sync, the error message "... song cannot be played on this iphone" appears... Is there a solution? Or I just gonna have to update the phone? Thanks.

wfuggle

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2004
Birmingham, UK
I did everything listed, the ringtone is in Itunes in my ringtones folder. But when I synced I can't find it on my phone. There is nothing that says custom. I checked the ringtone before I synced and I didn't get an error message. It's just nowhere to be found on my phone.

In case you haven't worked this out yet: you need to restart your phone by switching it fully off then reboot. Custom will then appear without need to try other progs etc.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Re:
When you say 'rename' how is it that you can rename the extension
or are you just renaming the title?
ie - "song" (it's extension is .m4a)
to "song.m4r" (it's extension is still .m4a) ?

I am using U.S. iPhone version 1.1.2 with itunes version 7.5.0.20

Change the extension to m4r

You can do this through Get Information ( Apple + i ) or, in Finder, click once on the name and it will become editable.

It will be song.m4r

danor

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Change the extension to m4r

You can do this through Get Information ( Apple + i ) or, in Finder, click once on the name and it will become editable.

It will be song.m4r
Thanks Saint but I am using XP.
Do you know how I can do it there?

overminer

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
to rename a file in windows:

Open Windows explorer
Find the file you need to rename
Right click the file
Type the new name of the file including the extension ".m4r"

If you can't see the extention in windows explorer go to Tools/folder options/advance and enable show file extension.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Trouble with Audacity

When I Import a song it slows it way down. a five minute song is stretched to 20 minutes. HOw do i speed it up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.