Free DVD burning software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PCMacUser, Sep 11, 2006.

1. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Hi guys and gals,

Just quickly wondering if anyone can recommend some free DVD burning software for OS X. I'd love to have Toast, but it's ridiculously expensive (way more than I paid for the DVD dual layer burner+external enclosure put together!).

I need the software to produce DVDs which are universally readable.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Video DVDs? ISO? UDF? What exactly are you looking for?

You could always just use mkisofs and cdrecord, you can get more free, basic or interoperable then that. :p Get them from fink.

B

3. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Um, I just want to back up the data (pictures, documents) on my iBook. Those acronyms just make my simple Tiger-adjusted brain go into a spin...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In that case, you can burn fully interoperable data DVDs with the built in Disk Utility. It's free too.:p Just make sure you select DVD/CD master as the Image Format.

B

5. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Thanks! I'll give it a go.

6. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Hmm, using Disk Utility, I get an error:

'Unable to create "disk1.cdr". not recognized.'

Any ideas?

7. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I guess my question is a bit more basic since I do not have a Mac yet. On an iMac with iDVD, and assuming you have a SuperDrive, are you able to burn your video projects on DVD's or do you need to purchase additional software?

8. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

That is correct. Once you import your video and edit it with iMovie (if you want any editing), you can burn it using iDVD and it will do any necessary conversions for you.

9. KevKaos macrumors 6502

OK. That is good news. One of the big selling points for me is that most of the software I will need comes standard on the iMac. I was afraid I misunderstood what I would and would not be able to do. If I am reading your post correctly, I should be able to input my digital video via USB 2, edit it with iMovie and then output to DVD using iDVD.

Sorry for being such a Dweeb, but I have been on PC's for so long, that I don't know what to expect. Trying to learn as much as I can before I buy my Mac.

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

why couldn't one use iDVD? i've never used it (or opened the app for that matter) but isn't its purpose burning DVDs?

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It would be USB if your video was MPEG4. If your video is DV, it'd be FireWire. If your video is MPEG2 on a miniDVD, sell the camera and get one that takes miniDV tapes. It's not worth the trouble.
    The OP appears to be asking about burning data DVDs. iDVD is for video and slideshow / photo DVDs.

12. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Shows how much I know. :eek: I have a Panasonic Digital video camera that records onto digital tape. It only has USB2 ouput (no Firewire). I have only had the camera for less than two years and have only used it a handful of times because my PC is such a dog that it can't even handle it. Take forever to transfer to the PC, runs for a bit and then blogs down due to not having enough memory and such. Have no DVD burner and not willing to buy one for a dog system. My choices seem to be, buy a new full blown PC or buy a Mac. I'm going Mac!!!

13. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

thanks for the info. i'll remember that for when i need to send a video/photo slideshow.

14. jecoy2011, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

jecoy2011 macrumors newbie

Roxio

ROXIO is available as your DVD burning software if you are using MAC. MACburn is also available, I am not sure if you can get them for free.

15. simsaladimbamba

Are you from the past, when Roxio was free and MacBurn still widely used and 2006 was a year you wouldn't mind resurrecting?