Free E-Mail and Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmaracz88, Mar 24, 2005.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Recently working out my household's communication products (aka getting cellphones) has, through a varried set of processes, led me to think that it might be a good idea to get a non-isp provided e-mail address. I was thinking, are any of the major free e-mail clients (like hotmail, yahoo, msn, gmail, etc.) compatible with the mac Mail client, as well as other remote viewing such as on a cellphone? I think hotmail only works with the newer version of outlook on windows xp, but maybe the others do a bit better in this respect.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yahoo and gmail both work with mail, i have three gmail accounts set up with mail with no problems

im not sure about getting them through the cell phones though sorry

(ps if you need a gmail invite there is a thread over in the community section for it stickied)

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Hotmail works with OS X Mail by way of a neat app called httpmail. Look it up at versiontracker.

4. sirius1722 macrumors member

Gmail is probably your best bet for a free email service, although I have both Gmail and Hotmail set up in Mail.app. Gmail gives you more storage and POP3 access so if you have a mobile phone that supports it and have data enabled on your account, you can manage your mail through your mobile. Not to mention, when you do need to go on the web to check mail, Gmail's interface is lightning quick, IMO.

Gmail is still invite only, so if you need an invite, PM me or wait until April 1st, when Gmail is rumored to go public.

5. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip here. It works great. Yahoo, by the way, won't allow any remote checking of their email unless you have a paid service with them.

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

may i note that pop3 access with gmail will probably not remain free. eventually they will charge for it.

if anyone needs an invite, i have 50 sitting here waiting for people to send to. if you want it, let me know in a PM and i'll send one. just provide an email addy.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why would they start charging for it? i dont see this happening and i hope it does not, they already offer it free, i dont think they would go back on that

8. Logik macrumors 6502a

they've already said it won't be free forever. i'll find a link somewhere but i am in class and heading home in about 2 minutes.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

cool i hadn't heard about it not always being fee, be interesting to read about it then

10. Logik macrumors 6502a

correction, appears they've changed their tune since i last checked. so you can be safe knowing you should always have pop access free of charge.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Cool, I'm glad it works for you. It's good to know about Yahoo not working with OS X Mail w/o a paid account, so thanks.